Convert names into initial caps

  1. #1
    Grd
    Guest

    Convert names into initial caps

    Hi there,

    I have a column of names like SANDRA, JIM that I would like to convert to
    Sandra, Jim etc but I don't know how to do it and there are 3500 of them.

    Is there anyway to do this without retyping them?

    Any help would be great.

    Thanks

    Connie

  2. #2
    Chip Pearson
    Guest

    Re: Convert names into initial caps

    Insert a column next to your data. In that column, enter the
    formula

    =PROPER(A1)

    and copy down as far as you need to go. Then, select those cells,
    copy them, select the first original cell, go to the Edit menu,
    choose Paste Special, and choose the Values option.

    You could also use a VBA macro.

    Sub AAA()
    Dim Rng As Range
    For Each Rng In Application.Intersect(Columns(1), _
    ActiveSheet.UsedRange).Cells
    Rng.Value = StrConv(Rng.Text, vbProperCase)
    Next Rng
    End Sub

    Here, change Columns(1) to the appropriate column number.

    --
    Cordially,
    Chip Pearson

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Roger Govier
    Guest

    Re: Convert names into initial caps

    Hi

    If your data is in column A, then in B1 (or any other spare column on
    the sheet) enter
    =Proper(A1)
    Copy down as far as required.
    Mark the range of cells in the column where you have put the formula,
    which are now in Proper Form, move cursor to cell A1 and Paste
    Special>Values
    You can then delete the helper column.

    --
    Regards