=if(h1800;e180-$j$1;0)

  1. #1
    paulrm906
    Guest

    =if(h1800;e180-$j$1;0)

    =IF(H1800;E180-$J$1;0)

    H180 = empty cell with a formula in it.
    E180 = the date a person was interviewed.
    $J$1 = =()NOW

    In the above formula H180 is an empty cell with a formula in it (which
    will later have their actual starting date in it) and E180 is the date
    a new staff member should commence work and J1 is equal to =()now. So
    now I want to write a formula simular to the above formula or another
    formula that does the job in cell J180 and what I want it to do in
    cell
    J180 is tell me how many days until their starting date. and to do
    this
    I need to subtract E180 (starting date) from J1 (=()now. plus I only
    want an answer in cell J180 if they have not started and once I enter
    the date in E180 then I just want it left blank. I hope I have not
    confused everyone with this as I got totally confused writing it.

    Thanks

    Paul Maynard

    --
    paulrm906

  2. #2
    CLR
    Guest

    RE: =if(h1800;e180-$j$1;0)

    Perhaps this will do as you wish..........

    =IF(H180="",TEXT(E180-NOW(),"#")&" days","")

    Vaya con Dios,
    Chuck, CABGx3

  3. #3
    Moscow

    Smile =if(h180<>0;e180-$j$1;0)

    Thanks Chuck

    For your suggestion for my formula and yes it works great but unfortunately it will not work when I enter a formula in H180 even if there is no result. If you have any further suggestions with the formula with getting it to work with a formula in H180 I would appreciate it very much as I have been trying to work this one out now for some now.

    Regards

    Paul Maynard
    Moscow
    Russia

  4. #4
    CLR
    Guest

    Re: =if(h1800;e180-$j$1;0)

    Hi Paul..........

    My original formula anticipated that if H180 did not contain a date, that
    the result of the formula would be a null, (ie: ""). That formula will not
    work if the result is a zero, or any other character(s). If the result is a
    zero or a null, try this version.......

    =IF(OR(H180=0,H180=""),TEXT(E180-NOW(),"#")&" days","")

    If it is actually something else, like the text, "Not Started Yet", then
    the formula can be modified accordingly...........

    Vaya con Dios,
    Chuck, CABGx3

  5. #5
    Moscow

    =IF(OR(H180=0,H180=""),TEXT(E180-NOW(),"#")&" days","")

    Hello Chuck

    Again your formula works great if I delete the formula H180, I have tried all differant alternatives myself but still it will not work.
    But thanks for trying.

    Paul Maynard
    Moscow
    Russia.

  6. #6
    CLR
    Guest

    Re: =if(h1800;e180-$j$1;0)

    Well Paul, I don't know what else to do unless you can tell me exactly what
    formula it is you are using in H180. Perhaps it is giving a space as a
    result if no date is returned, or something else that we must accomodate in
    the other formula....I'm sure that's all it is, but I must see the formula
    in order to help further.......

    Vaya con Dios,
    Chuck, CABGx3

    "paulrm906" <[email protected]> wrote
    in message news:[email protected]...

  7. #7
    Moscow

    Smile =if(h180<>;e180-$j$1;0)

    Thanks Chuck

    Below is the formula that is in H180, this formula checks the page where the new staff are entered and feeds the date across to H180 after their starting date as been entered on the sheet called "New Staff". And below is the exact formula that is in H180. Hope this helps and thanks again for your persistance in trying to help me.

    =INDEX('New Staff'!$A$3:$M$1000;MATCH($A180;'New Staff'!$B$3:$B$1000;0);6)

    Thanks

    Paul Maynard
    Moscow
    Russia.

  8. #8
    CLR
    Guest

    Re: =if(h1800;e180-$j$1;0)

    Hi Paul....
    The problem/solution lies not the fact of whether or not there is a formula
    in H180, but of what result is is leaving for the new formula in J180 to
    deal with.........without having all your relative data and files, I got
    #N/A in H180.....so this version of the new formula will solve for that
    result....if this does not do it for you, then tell me exactly what result
    you are getting in cell H180 so we can fix it.

    =IF(ISNA(H180),TEXT(E180-NOW(),"#")&" days","")

    BTW, I trust you "are" converting for the differences between our Excel
    versions by changing my commas to your semi-colons....right?

  9. #9
    Moscow

    =if(h180<>;e180-$j$1;0)

    Thanks very much Chuck it works very good and thanks again for your persistance in trying to help me solve this formula.

    Paul Maynard
    Moscow
    Russia.

  10. #10
    CLR
    Guest

    Re: =if(h1800;e180-$j$1;0)

    You're welcome Paul.......glad you got it working, and thanks for the
    feedback.....