Closed Thread
Results 1 to 2 of 2

I need to compare to columns and indicate the matches in another

  1. #1
    IFIXPCS
    Guest

    I need to compare to columns and indicate the matches in another

    am wanting to compare 2 columns for exact matching. If there are two
    matching items I want to be able to say "A match" in a chosen cell for all
    the ones that match. Column C will be retrived in an random order... so how
    would I write the formula for that?????

    Example:
    A B C
    45time 11tune
    A match 11tune 89time
    47doog 43jkjkj
    A match 123ABC 123ABC

    If possible include how to highlight the ones that make as another option.
    Thanks

  2. #2
    Ron Coderre
    Guest

    RE: I need to compare to columns and indicate the matches in another

    Try something like this:

    For a value list in B1:B5 and a new list in C1:C10:

    Assuming that by "exact match" you mean that 11TUNE does NOT equal 11tune:
    A1: =IF(SUMPRODUCT(--EXACT($C$1:$C$10,B1))>0,"A Match","NO Match")
    Copy that formula down as far as you need.

    However, if 11TUNE DOES equal 11tune:
    Then A1: =IF(ISNA(MATCH(B1,C:C,0)),"NO Match","A Match")
    Copy that formula down as far as you need.

    Does that help?

    ***********
    Regards,
    Ron

    XL2002, WinXP-Pro

    "IFIXPCS" wrote:

    > am wanting to compare 2 columns for exact matching. If there are two
    > matching items I want to be able to say "A match" in a chosen cell for all
    > the ones that match. Column C will be retrived in an random order... so how
    > would I write the formula for that?????
    >
    > Example:
    > A B C
    > 45time 11tune
    > A match 11tune 89time
    > 47doog 43jkjkj
    > A match 123ABC 123ABC
    >
    > If possible include how to highlight the ones that make as another option.
    > Thanks

Closed Thread