How can I sort text (in excel) while ignoring articles (e.g., the

  1. #1
    happy1
    Guest

    How can I sort text (in excel) while ignoring articles (e.g., the

    I work in a library and want to sort lists of CD titles. I want to sort the
    list alphabetically while ignoring articles (e.g., the, a, an) when they
    appear as the first word in the title.

  2. #2
    Perth, Australia
    MS-Off Ver
    Hi
    I don't think you can do this.
    what might work is to include the names in an adjacent column and eliminate the articles, then sort on that.
    For example, this formula will eliminate the words "The ", "An " and "A " from the left of the text in cell A1 (note the addition of a space after the word in the formula, to prevent all words begining with "A" being cropped):

    =IF(LEFT(A1,2)="A ",RIGHT(A1,LEN(A1)-2),IF(LEFT(A1,3)="An ",RIGHT(A1,LEN(A1)-3),IF(LEFT(A1,4)="The ",RIGHT(A1,LEN(A1)-4),A1)))
    Nicky

  3. #3
    Jim Cone
    Guest

    Re: How can I sort text (in excel) while ignoring articles (e.g., the

    A commercial application by yours truly...
    http://www.officeletter.com/blink/specialsort.html
    Jim Cone
    San Francisco, USA