Column Info

  1. #1
    Farquhardt
    Guest

    Column Info

    Hi -

    Please forgive my ignorance but I just don't know anything about Excel. I
    have an expense report that I have to file monthly that has to show daily
    mileage for both company and personal mileage. I want to automate the
    functions as much as I can as an aid to ensuring accuracy. Each day has its
    own line and data with totals for the data at the bottom. Here are my
    questions:

    1) How do I get the current date to automatically load into the appropriate
    cell? In other words, when I open this file daily how do I get the current
    date to appear in the cell but still retain the option of changing it in case
    I forget to update daily.

    2) The report asks for beginning and ending odometer readings. I'd like to
    be able to just input that data and have the 'daily mileage' show up
    automatically. One caveat is that if I have any personal miles for that
    particular day, the business mileage should be decreased by that amount. I'd
    like to have this in the computation also.

    3) In accordance with all of this, the monthly total (on a daily basis)
    should be incremented by the daily figures.

    Thank you in advance for your assistance. It's greatly appreciated.

    Farquhardt

  2. #2
    Peo Sjoblom
    Guest

    Re: Column Info

    =TODAY() will give you the current computer date but you can't change it to
    a fixed date and later expecting it to be the current date again unless you
    use a macro that will change to current date everytime you open the
    workbook, I'd suggest using 2 cells, one with the current date and one where
    you can put any date you want.

    If not you can right click the excel icon left of the file menu and select
    view code and paste in this

    Private Sub Workbook_Open()
    Range("A1").Value = Format(Date, "mm/dd/yy")
    End Sub

    which will do what TODAY() does but you can overwrite it and next time it
    is opened it will insert the current date

    Peo Sjoblom

    Northwest Excel Solutions

    www.nwexcelsolutions.com

    (remove ^^ from email address)

    Portland, Oregon

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Roger Govier
    Guest

    Re: Column Info

    Hi Peo

    > If not you can right click the excel icon left of the file menu

    Thanks Peo, I had never realised that this would take you straight to
    the ThisWorkbook code module.

    --
    Regards

    Roger Govier

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    paul
    Guest

    Re: Column Info

    if you type hold down ctrl and then press ; you will get the current date
    which will remain fixed.....you can of course overwrite it at any time
    --
    paul
    remove nospam for email addy!