Closed Thread
Results 1 to 2 of 2

Problem saving a spreadsheet

  1. #1
    Scott
    Guest

    Problem saving a spreadsheet

    I created an Excel spreadsheet and saved it to a network drive. When other
    people edit the spreadsheet and try to save it they get a message saying the
    file is set as read only. They are directed to save the file as another name.
    The save dialog box comes up and saves the file as a "copy of" the original.
    If you right click on the file and go to properties the read only attribute
    is not selected. Why does this keep happening?

  2. #2
    Neil
    Guest

    RE: Problem saving a spreadsheet

    My guess is that this is actually nothing to do with the spreadsheet but more
    to do with your network settings.

    Although you have set the properties on the Workbook to allow all users to
    edit it, they will all also need to have write access set at the folder level
    on the network drive too.

    Another possible is that there are two people trying to open the Workbook at
    the same time, but you usually see a message warning you of this when you
    open the Workbook.

    My money is on the first option.

    HTH

    Neil