moving text from a word document to excel

  1. #1
    gregp22
    Guest

    moving text from a word document to excel

    I'm moving a large amount of text from word documents to an excel
    spreedsheet, and I have a few questions:

    1. When I copy/paste text from the document to the spreedsheet, the text
    will sometimes expand the cell very large. How can I keep all the cells the
    same size?

    2. When I click on a cell that has text in it to read it, sometimes it will
    only show the text in a long downwards column, whereas other times it shows
    it as a big 'blurb' to the right side (which makes it easier to read). How
    can I set it up so it is not in a long column?

    3. How can I insert cells without having to go to 'insert' and then 'cells'
    each time?

    4. On the document, certain parts of the text are bold. When I copy/paste
    them to excel, the bold disappears and becomes regular. How can I keep the
    parts of text bold?

    5. On the document, there are parts that have a line of text, a space, an
    then more text. When I try and copy it over to the spreedsheet, it does not
    all stay in a single cell (it shows it over to a few cells). How can I keep
    it all in one cell?

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Mel Arquiza
    Guest

    RE: moving text from a word document to excel

    "gregp22" wrote:

    > I'm moving a large amount of text from word documents to an excel
    > spreedsheet, and I have a few questions:
    >
    > 1. When I copy/paste text from the document to the spreedsheet, the text
    > will sometimes expand the cell very large. How can I keep all the cells the
    > same size? Make autofit the column size or press Alt-Enter to terminate the text to the next line
    >
    > 2. When I click on a cell that has text in it to read it, sometimes it will
    > only show the text in a long downwards column, whereas other times it shows
    > it as a big 'blurb' to the right side (which makes it easier to read). How
    > can I set it up so it is not in a long column?Try Press Alt-Enter let the text to be on the next line.
    >
    > 3. How can I insert cells without having to go to 'insert' and then 'cells'
    > each time? Try Press Alt-I-R Insert Row.
    >
    > 4. On the document, certain parts of the text are bold. When I copy/paste
    > them to excel, the bold disappears and becomes regular. How can I keep the
    > parts of text bold?Try to paste it with formatting if it works? otherwise you just place it an unformatted text paste and reformat manually.
    >
    > 5. On the document, there are parts that have a line of text, a space, an
    > then more text. When I try and copy it over to the spreedsheet, it does not
    > all stay in a single cell (it shows it over to a few cells). How can I keep
    > it all in one cell? Best thing is copy it first in notepad then through notepad paste

    it to excel then everything will be in single cell. Hope this helps.

  3. #3

    Word to Excel

    You might find it easier to have the Word text in a table (even if it's a table with just one column). Don't forget that Excel has a limit to the number of characters that can be in one cell whereas I don't think Word has.
    1. Try Edit/Paste Special/Text. If not, select all the columns after the paste, and make them the appropriate width (in one action).
    2. As point 1.
    3. Use Ctrl +. If you select a column or row, that's what it'll insert. If you select just one cell, it'll give you a choice of what to do.
    4. I can't replicate this; the bold comes over fine. Note that Edit/Paste Special will remove formatting.
    5. By having the original text in Word in a table, this may be fixed when you copy over.
    Clive