How Do I set repeating numbered rows (in Excel)?

  1. #1
    Cassie
    Guest

    How Do I set repeating numbered rows (in Excel)?

    Countless efforts to 'find' how to do this...expect the answer 'is
    there'...perhaps I just cannot see it. Thanks in advance for any assistance.
    --
    ~Cassie

  2. #2
    JE McGimpsey
    Guest

    Re: How Do I set repeating numbered rows (in Excel)?

    Answer's probably there, but what do you mean by "repeating numbered
    rows"? I can think of several possible interpretations...

    If you mean you want something like:

    1 1
    2 2
    3 3
    4 1
    5 2
    6 3
    7 1

    then one way is

    A2: =MOD(A1,3)+1

    Copy down as far as necessary

  3. #3
    PA
    Guest

    RE: How Do I set repeating numbered rows (in Excel)?

    For Excel 2002 and later:

    Type a 1 in the cell you want the numbered sequence to start.
    Copy it down as far as you want you list with the AutoFill button in the
    lower right corner of that cell. You will get all 1's, but the AutoFill tag
    will appear at the bottom of the filled range.
    Click it and select Fill Series.

  4. #4
    Cassie
    Guest

    RE: How Do I set repeating numbered rows (in Excel)?

    Thank you all for your kind help! This has been bugging me for some time.
    Glad to finally realize a resolution. Warm regards...
    --
    ~Cassie