generate unique random numbers

  1. #1
    Stephen Larivee
    Guest

    generate unique random numbers

    I have a list of 600 names. I would like to generate a random number
    between 1 and 600 for each person but not have any repeating numbers. So
    far I have used
    =rand()*600
    This give me the correct number range but many of the numbers repeat.

    Can I accomplish what I want to do?

  2. #2
    Max
    Guest

    Re: generate unique random numbers

    One way ..

    Suppose serial nos (1,2,3 ... 600)
    and names are in cols A and B, from row1 to 600

    Put in C1: =INDEX($A$1:$A$600,RANK(D1,$D$1:$D$600))
    Put in D1: =RAND()
    Select C1:D1, fill down

    C1 returns the random shuffle of the serial nos that's required
    Press F9 key to regenerate
    --
    Max
    Singapore
    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Stephen Larivee
    Guest

    Re: generate unique random numbers

    Thank you!!!!! I will give it a try.

    news:%[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Stephen Larivee
    Guest

    Re: generate unique random numbers

    Tried it but all of the numbers are either 0 or 1. Where did I go wrong???

  5. #5
    Max
    Guest

    Re: generate unique random numbers

    You're welcome !
    Let us know how it went ..

  6. #6
    Stephen Larivee
    Guest

    Re: generate unique random numbers

    My mistake. I made an error in the formula. I corrected it and it seems to
    be doing just what I wanted. Thank you very much.

  7. #7
    Max
    Guest

    Re: generate unique random numbers

    Glad to hear that, Stephen !
    Thanks for feeding back ..

  8. #8
    David J. Braden
    Guest

    Re: generate unique random numbers

    Alternatively, get PopTools, a free add-in (Google will turn it up).
    Among many very-well implemented variate generators are a host of other
    functions. Among them is Shuffle. Here's how you can also keep location
    and sizes of your lists more manageable:
    Enter 1 through 600 (or whatever) into a column; it might be, say, in
    C3:C602. Insert>Name>Define that range as Indexes. Into another column,
    say D3:D602, enter your list of names, and Insert>Name>Define it as
    NameList. Into E3:E602, array-enter (ctrl-shift-enter)
    =Shuffle(Indexes), and name it ShuffledIndexes. Finally, into F3:F602,
    array-enter =INDEX(NameList,ShuffledIndexes)

    I mention this in part because PopTools's Shuffle command draws without
    replacement, a handy thing to have. It has a lot of other excellent
    stuff, and it's free!!!

    HTH
    Dave Braden

    Stephen Larivee wrote:
    > I have a list of 600 names. I would like to generate a random number
    > between 1 and 600 for each person but not have any repeating numbers. So
    > far I have used
    > =rand()*600
    > This give me the correct number range but many of the numbers repeat.
    >
    > Can I accomplish what I want to do?

    --
    Please keep response(s) solely within this thread.