how to use excel to track phone numbers

  1. #1
    honey42
    Guest

    how to use excel to track phone numbers

    hello! i am sandy and i have not used excel for years and have forgotten most
    of what i learned. what i need to learn is how to set up a page or ? on how
    to track how many times a phone number appears. i would like to list the
    date of the number also and sometimes the time. i know how to enter the
    data, but i don't know how to get it to "match or put on one report" all the
    numbers that are equal to 111 for example. i would like to say this is for a
    business, but it is not. my husband has been getting different phone calls
    (another woman maybee) and i would like to see how often he calls or the same
    number is called. I get the info from his cell phone (time and date) i
    would like to place it on something easier to "match" or identify same
    numbers. thank you to all who take the time to respond!

  2. #2
    David McRitchie
    Guest

    Re: how to use excel to track phone numbers

    Hi Sandy,
    Check out CountIF and SUMPRODUCT at John Walkenbach's site
    http://www.j-walk.com/ss/excel/eee/eee018.txt

    and at Data Pig (some video tutorials)
    http://www.datapigtechnologies.com/ExcelMain.htm

    SUMPRODUCT Worksheet Formula Examples, Ken Wright, 2003-01-04.
    http://google.com/groups?threadm=epm...40TK2MSFTNGP12

    and of course your Excel HELP.
    ---
    HTH,

  3. #3
    Forum Contributor
    Vancouver

    Pivot table

    This would be a snap to do with a very simple pivot table.

    If you have is a column of dates, a column of times and a column of phone numbers with the headings "date", "time" and "numbers":

    Select all the columns by holding shift and clicking on the column letters at the very top.

    Click Data > Pivot Table

    Click Finish.

    A new sheet will be created with a blank pivot table and a toolbar containing the column headings

    Drag the column heading "date" from the toolbar over to the area marked Drop Row Fields Here
    Drag the column heading "numbers" from the toolbar over to the the same area just to the right of the dates.

    Drag the "numbers" column heading from the toolbar again, - this time to the area marked Drop data items here.

    The table should now appear as follows:

    Count of number
    number date____________Total

    123-4567 Jun 15___________3
    345-6789 Jun 15___________1

    Grand Total______________14

    If, instead of "Count of number", the top heading reads "Sum of Number",
    Right click on Sum of Number, Click Field Settings, and choose "Count"

    If you double click on any count, a new sheet will be created listing all of the dates and times that the number
    occurred.

    Good luck!
    Last edited by CaptainQuattro; 03-31-2006 at 03:10 AM.