How to combine Excel 2002 files and remove duplicate records?

  1. #1
    Dave542
    Guest

    How to combine Excel 2002 files and remove duplicate records?

    I’ve recently took over a task at my job of managing some Excel files.
    I am using Excel 2002. There are several Excel files that need to be
    combined into one file however, if I do this, I will have some duplicate
    records that I will have to delete.
    The only way I know how to do this is to copy and paste and then look for
    duplicate records manually and delete them as I find them. Is there an easier
    way to do this?
    Thank you for you support and help.

  2. #2
    Otto Moehrbach
    Guest

    Re: How to combine Excel 2002 files and remove duplicate records?

    Yes, there is. I would use VBA to do that job, but I need more info. When
    you say there are duplicate records, exactly what is duplicated? In other
    words, if you are looking for duplicate records manually, what do you look
    for? Do you look at just one column and if that one column has a duplicate,
    delete one of those rows? Or do you have multiple columns and you have to
    check for a duplicate in more than one column (maybe all?) before you can
    say you have a duplicate? Post back with more details. HTH Otto
    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Dave542
    Guest

    Re: How to combine Excel 2002 files and remove duplicate records?

    Wow...This is the first time I've posted here or done anything like this
    before.
    I was told at work to try asking my question here and I would get some help.
    I am surprised.
    Thank you very much for your reply.
    I don’t have VBA.
    I have several columns in each file but, on of the columns is an employee ID
    number.
    I’ll sort on this column and the delete the records (rows) that are
    duplicated. If there are more that on records with the same employee number I
    delete the additional records so that there is only one record per employee
    ID number.

  4. #4
    Otto Moehrbach
    Guest

    Re: How to combine Excel 2002 files and remove duplicate records?

    Dave
    Since you need to check only one column, you can do this with a
    worksheet formula or with VBA. You say that you don't have VBA. I think
    you mean you don't know VBA. VBA is a part of Excel, so you have it
    available.
    Here is the procedure using a formula:
    Let's say your data starts in row 1.
    First sort all the data by the ID column.
    In row 1 of the first empty column, enter the formula:
    =IF(A2=A1,"Y","")

    Now drag that formula down as far as your data goes.

    You will see a "Y" in that column for every duplicate you have. For
    instance, if you have 3 rows with the same ID, you will see 2 "Y"s.

    Now do an AutoFilter (Data - Filter - AutoFilter) on the "Y" in the ID
    column.

    This will display all the "Y" rows together.

    Delete all those rows.

    Click on Data - Filter - ShowAll

    Done.

    This is easy to do from my end. It may not be from your end. Post back if
    you need more. HTH Otto

  5. #5
    Otto Moehrbach
    Guest

    Re: How to combine Excel 2002 files and remove duplicate records?

    Dave
    I forgot to mention that you should make a copy of your file and try the
    procedure on the copy. Only when you feel confident that you have it, do it
    on your real file. Otto