file is locked does not appear in Excel if file already open by an

  1. #1
    Leslie
    Guest

    file is locked does not appear in Excel if file already open by an

    We have shared files on a network drive. When a file is open by one user,
    and a second user opens the file we want them to recieve <filename> is locked
    for editing message and open the file read only. This works great for some
    users, but we have several users that can open the file (even if someone is
    already in it) and they do not get the prompt and can edit the workbook. Is
    there a setting that would turn this off for some users and not others in
    excel?

  2. #2
    Annie
    Guest

    RE: file is locked does not appear in Excel if file already open by an

    Hello Leslie,
    You could try sharing the workbook.

    With the Excel workbook open, choose Tools from the menu.
    Choose Share Workbook.
    Click the Editing tab, and select Allow changes by more than one user at the
    same time. This also allows workbook merging.
    On the Advanced tab, select the Automatically every option and then click OK.
    When you save the workbook, the workbook is now shared with others who have
    access to it. Changes to the workbook are updated every 15 minutes by
    default.
    Note: Some Excel features are not available within a shared workbook. For
    additional information about sharing workbooks, choose Help from the menu,
    and type share workbook for the topic. You will see the topic Limitations of
    Shared Workbooks, and other information about this feature.

    Cheers,
    Annie

  3. #3
    Leslie
    Guest

    RE: file is locked does not appear in Excel if file already open b

    We tried this, but when a user tries to open the file after share workbook is
    enabled, the file is locked and they have to save it as a new name.

  4. #4
    Annie
    Guest

    RE: file is locked does not appear in Excel if file already open b

    Hi Leslie,
    There might be some helpful information on the Microsoft site.
    Check:

    Cheers,
    Annie