Unwanted change in width of columns when showing formula.

  1. #1
    Erik Cardell
    Guest

    Unwanted change in width of columns when showing formula.

    When selecting to show formulas in cells, a lot of my columns change their
    width.
    I have confirmed that I am viewing the worksheet at the same zoom-level
    before and after switching to showing formulas.
    When reverting back to show the actual results of the formulas in the cells,
    the width also goes back to what I had initially decided on.
    Why is this (width gets bigger)?
    I want to have the freedom to maintain _my_ chosen column-width,
    stupid-looking as it might be. Is there a solution to not have the
    column-width changing like this?
    Thank you in advance.

  2. #2
    Kevin B
    Guest

    RE: Unwanted change in width of columns when showing formula.

    The column widths change because Excel assumes you want to read as much
    formula text as possible. Isn't that the primary reason why one would turn
    this display option on?
    --
    Kevin Backmann

  3. #3
    Erik Cardell
    Guest

    RE: Unwanted change in width of columns when showing formula.

    I find that reason plausible and good mannered. However,
    1) why the need of manipulating the width of columns that have no bearing on
    the formula?
    2) _my_ main reason for showing the formula was something else; the
    colouring of cells taking part in the formula.
    If I can solve no.2 by some other means, I will have learned something new
    today. :-)
    Thanks!