I need complete idiot proof excel setup database help. please

  1. #1
    MadMoose
    Guest

    I need complete idiot proof excel setup database help. please

    I need to learn all about Excel and how to make a database.. I have read
    and read and done practise tutorials but I just cannot grasp the concept, it
    completely goes over my head everytime. I am quick to learn when I am being
    shown or told exactly what to do, can anyone help me learn all about Excel.. ?

  2. #2
    JE McGimpsey
    Guest

    Re: I need complete idiot proof excel setup database help. please

    The first thing you need to know is that Excel is not a database
    application, and while it is commonly used for databases, it doesn't do
    them well. Expecting a database developed in XL to be "complete idiot
    proof" is setting yourself up for disaster.

    Without knowing anything about your data or your reporting needs, the
    only thing I could tell you is that, in general, you should use rows for
    records and columns for fields within recocords.

  3. #3
    Ron de Bruin
    Guest

    Re: I need complete idiot proof excel setup database help. please

    Here is a example
    http://www.rondebruin.nl/copy1.htm

    --
    Regards Ron de Bruin
    http://www.rondebruin.nl

  4. #4
    MadMoose
    Guest

    Re: I need complete idiot proof excel setup database help. please

    Thanks for your reply McGimpsey.. My next task is Access apparently.. I think
    I might send your reply to my boss.. because I don't think it makes a very
    good database either. Hence why I have struggled with it.. setting myself up
    for disaster sounds about right too.. lol..

  5. #5
    MadMoose
    Guest

    Re: I need complete idiot proof excel setup database help. please

    Thanks for your help Ron de Bruin.. I have just started a job and I have
    never used excel, access or anything like it before in my life, apparently
    Access is my next task.. Yet my boss wants me to go figure everything on my
    own or pester some newsgroups, so here I am.. lol. I managed to get a
    database done.. there is just so much to remember and try and grasp with
    excel..:-)
    Hopefully it will all get easier with time.

  6. #6
    Patricia Shannon
    Guest

    Re: I need complete idiot proof excel setup database help. please

    As you use it, it will become more clear. If you are doing macro
    programming, liberal use of MsgBox is very helpful. Using MsgBox with
    TypeName can be useful. When I started programming (in 1970, in IBM Assembler
    Language), computer concepts seemed pretty murky. But I became an excellent
    programmer (not just my own opinion). Now I am learning Visual Basic macros,
    and finding the same thing applies for areas that are different from what
    I've worked with before. Our brains actually grow new cells, and make new
    connections when we learn new things, thoughout our lives. It sounds like
    you are willing to learn, and are making new brain connections!

  7. #7
    CLR
    Guest

    RE: I need complete idiot proof excel setup database help. please

    Goto thise sites, and others, and read and practice, practice, practice.
    Also, read the newsgroups and try to come up with the answers yourself before
    you read the responses,...........

    www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/index.html
    www.cpearson.com
    www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/excel.htm