How can I sort 4 fields at a time

  1. #1
    Deb T
    Guest

    How can I sort 4 fields at a time

    I have to sort by country: within country by category: within category by
    Product: within product by order date! My book says I must make 2 passes? How
    do I do this and have all the information still match to where it belongs.

  2. #2
    CLR
    Guest

    Re: How can I sort 4 fields at a time

    Using a helper column, you can CONCATENATE two columns together (then do
    Copy > PasteSpecial > Values to get rid of the formulas), and when you sort
    using that helper column it acts like sorting on 2 columns at once.....

    hth
    Vaya con Dios,
    Chuck, CABGx3

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Debra Dalgleish
    Guest

    Re: How can I sort 4 fields at a time

    Select all the data in the table
    Choose Data>Sort
    Sort by Order Date, and click OK
    With all the data still selected, choose Data>Sort
    Sort by Country, then by Category, then by Product
    Click OK

    --
    Debra Dalgleish
    Contextures

  4. #4
    Deb T
    Guest

    Re: How can I sort 4 fields at a time

    Thank You for your help. I am sure I will be back as I am a student if Excel .
    Why did you choose the order you did?

  5. #5
    Patricia Shannon
    Guest

    Re: How can I sort 4 fields at a time

    You have to make the number of passes as there are sorts.
    You have to make the passes in the reverse order or significance.
    You have to have the most significant sort (country) to be the last one; any
    sorts after that would mess it up. Similarly for the next most significant
    sort
    To see what is going on:
    !) Make up some data by hand, with several combinations of duplicates for
    each category, including duplicates of combinations. You could even make up
    some index card with the combinations.
    2) Then shuffle them up good.
    3) Lay them down, face up.
    4) Pick up one at a time, and put it in sequence by order date. If there is
    more than one with the same order date, put the later ones at the back of the
    group with the same order date, so the ones in a group with the same date
    remain in the sequence they were in.
    5) When you have them sorted by order date, place the stack face up on the
    table, and start picking them up and putting them in order by product.
    Ignore all other fields, but make sure that when you pick up a card that has
    the same product as one in your hand, you put it behind the others with that
    product; that way for a group with the same product, they will be in sequence
    by order date.
    6)When you are finished, your cards will be in sequence by product. For
    each product, they will be in sequence by order date.
    By this time, you will hopefully see what is happening.
    7)If not, continue the process with category, making sure to keep cards with
    the same category in the order they were in.
    When finished, they will be order by category/product/order date.

    In the days of punched cards, we had to run them through the card sorter at
    least once for each character, in reverse order. For alphanumeric data, we
    had to run each column through 3 or 4 times! Not much fun sorting on
    employee number followed by employee name!

  6. #6
    Debra Dalgleish
    Guest

    Re: How can I sort 4 fields at a time

    You can sort up to three fields at a time. If you need to sort by more
    than three fields, sort the least significant fields first. In your
    example, you want to sort by
    1. Country
    2. Category
    3. Product
    4. Order Date

    Since Order Date is last on the list, it's least significant, so sort it
    first.
    The other three fields can be sorted at the same time, in the same order
    as they appear in your list.
    There's another example here:

    http://www.contextures.com/xlSort01.html#Sort04

  7. #7
    Patricia Shannon
    Guest

    Re: How can I sort 4 fields at a time

    Debra, of course you're right. So that does make two sorts. Hopefully my
    explanation helps her to see why to sort the least significant fields first,
    if you have to do more than one pass. Learning to work things through
    manually, to get a real understanding, is a valuable skill.