join rows?

  1. #1
    SusanK
    Guest

    join rows?

    Hi...I have a sheet with data that looks like this...

    Col A Col B Col. C Col D
    joe part1 320
    joe part 2 150
    betty part 1 350
    betty part 2 270

    What I want to do is to create a new column of data which has all the
    "scores" that each person received in part 2 of the test. So each person
    would only be listed in one row...any ideas? Thank you!

  2. #2

    Re: join rows?

    You could use a pivottable...

    Add a single row of headers if you don't have them already.

    Select that range
    Data|Pivottable
    follow the wizard until you get to the step with a Layout button.
    Click that button
    Drag the Name header button to the row field
    drag the Part number header button to the column field
    drag the score header button to the data field
    (if you see "Count of Score", then double click on that button and change it to
    Sum)

    And finish up.

    This will only work if the values are numeric.

    If you want to read more about pivottables...

    Here are a few links:

    Debra Dalgleish's pictures at Jon Peltier's site:
    http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Pivots/pivottables.htm
    And Debra's own site:

    John Walkenbach also has some at:
    http://j-walk.com/ss/excel/files/general.htm
    (look for Tony Gwynn's Hit Database)

    Chip Pearson keeps Harald Staff's notes at:

    MS has some at (xl2000 and xl2002):
    http://office.microsoft.com/downloads/2000/XCrtPiv.aspx
    http://office.microsoft.com/assistan...lconPT101.aspx

  3. #3
    SusanK
    Guest

    Re: join rows?

    Thank you...that works for me..I don't really need the sum function, but I
    guess that is part of pivot tables..Susan

  4. #4

    Re: join rows?

    Since your data is numeric and only one per category???, you'll want to use
    sum.

    Pivottables are nice summaries using numeric (sum, average, count, ...)
    functions.