one step update

  1. #1
    dk
    Guest

    one step update

    "dk" wrote:

    we have a invoice spreadsheet which gets firgures fron a another
    spreadsheet
    & makes invoice for ex:
    invoice column 1= Quantity
    invoice column 2= Descriptition
    invoice column 3= Price
    invoice column 4= Total
    Field 1= Name
    Field 2= Add
    Field 3= City

    in the other spreadsheet we have columns with all description of these
    column , we like to be able to pick row 36 from other spreadsheet and the
    whole info shall be transfered automatically how can we do it?

  2. #2
    Forum Moderator davesexcel's Avatar
    Regina
    MS-Off Ver
    MS 365
    Posts
    13,481
    Maybe a VLOOKUP formula might be your solution, here's a site that expalins it very well

  3. #3
    dk
    Guest

    Re: one step update

    almost what we want but need different ex; we shall enter in 1 cell row 34
    all values only from that row shall in we shall only need to change 1 cell
    and all cells shall be changed automatically

  4. #4
    Forum Moderator davesexcel's Avatar
    Regina
    MS-Off Ver
    MS 365
    Posts
    13,481

    Lightbulb

    Almost??

    thats what VLOOKUP does!!

    Here's a small example, hit the dropdown menu in cell A2, and see what happens in the rest of the cells
    Last edited by davesexcel; 08-26-2006 at 12:01 PM.

  5. #5
    dk
    Guest

    Re: one step update

    according to what we understand vlookup all items details in several cells
    which will always pick from those cells but our ex: is we each row has a
    different name & charges and we have another sheet which is designed for
    invoice so if we will put our invoice customer # 35 (ex: dave) all columns
    from row 35 shall be copied in different location in invoice and if we put
    lcustomer # 99 all columns from row 99 shall be copied in different
    location in invoice

  6. #6
    dk
    Guest

    RE: one step update

    Please instruct we are new

  7. #7
    Forum Moderator davesexcel's Avatar
    Regina
    MS-Off Ver
    MS 365
    Posts
    13,481
    were you able to look at the example I posted??

  8. #8
    dk
    Guest

    Re: one step update

    no

  9. #9
    dk
    Guest

    RE: one step update

    It seems link doesn't work

  10. #10
    Forum Moderator davesexcel's Avatar
    Regina
    MS-Off Ver
    MS 365
    Posts
    13,481
    I'll give it another try
    Last edited by davesexcel; 08-26-2006 at 12:01 PM.

  11. #11
    dk
    Guest

    Re: one step update

    Invalid Attachment specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the
    administrator

  12. #12
    Forum Moderator davesexcel's Avatar
    Regina
    MS-Off Ver
    MS 365
    Posts
    13,481
    Well this isn't what I had sent you but here is a site that has VLOOKUP examples

  13. #13
    dk
    Guest

    Re: one step update

    is there anyway vlookup to refrence to a cell ex: a:25 instead of a value

  14. #14
    Forum Moderator davesexcel's Avatar
    Regina
    MS-Off Ver
    MS 365
    Posts
    13,481
    Maybe you should just print out the pages at the site I forwarded to you yesterday and read it, the questions you are asking, tells me you haven't

    And somehow open the simple example I posted, it is a zipped file

    also here is a short video

    http://www.datapigtechnologies.com/f...s/vlookup.html

    here is another site that has a vlookup example as well as an invoice example

    http://theofficeexperts.com/downloads.htm

  15. #15
    dk
    Guest

    RE: one step update

    we read everything we know reference by code or do a search but we don"t find
    anyplace how to put ( Enter product code A23 in cell A7 )in a cell # as the
    refrence
    our product code in cell A7 we want to be a:25 or a:26 or a27) we to put the
    exact values as written not wording of a:25 which maybe "tom" or "joe" etc
    because we may have 10 times "joe" in column a we want only the joe which is
    in cell a:25 etc so we want to input instead of "joe" a:25 and the vlookup is
    going to read from a7

  16. #16
    David McRitchie
    Guest

    Re: one step update

    If you are having a problem with A7 as a product code in a cell
    that kind of indicates to me that you might have Transition options
    turned on and the A7 is the equivalent of =A7

    Make sure you have transition options turned off
    Tools, Options, Transition, ..

    More information on VLOOKUP at
    .. http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/vlookup.htm

    ---
    HTH,

  17. #17
    dk
    Guest

    Re: one step update

    again, we think there is misunderstanding the vlookup woks fines but we want
    to input in the first cell thats created before the vlookup a range or a cell
    no. instead of a actual value ex: to prepare an invoice, you can enter a
    """"product code" "", and formulas will get the product name or price from
    the product table. we want to enter a cell # a25 instead of entering a
    product code lets say a25 in the lookup table reads "123" description 'pens"
    we don"t want to input "123" we want to put cell a25 and formulas will get
    the product description or price from the product table

  18. #18
    Peo Sjoblom
    Guest

    Re: one step update

    Try

    =VLOOKUP(INDIRECT(A1),A3:C250,3)

    where A1 is the cell where you would put a25

    Peo Sjoblom

    http://nwexcelsolutions.com