What does ABS mean in front of a Formula

  1. #1
    australia

    What does ABS mean in front of a Formula

    Hi all,

    Have a question am absolute puzzelled. The below formula has ABS after =. The formula just caclulates a ratio thou when you do it without ABS in front the Ratio is negative eg: -19, thou when you put ABS in front it rides the Negative eg: 19. Why does it do this & what does ABS mean. WOULD APPRECIATE ALL THE HELP AM AGAIN CONFUSSED I NEED A HOLIDAY.
    Cheers
    Will

    =ABS(C36/B36)

  2. #2
    Hugh
    Guest

    Re: What does ABS mean in front of a Formula

    from the Help file:

    Returns the absolute value of a number. The absolute value of a number
    is the number without its sign.
    Syntax
    =ABS(number)
    Number is the real number of which you want the absolute value.

  3. #3
    Bernard Liengme
    Guest

    Re: What does ABS mean in front of a Formula

    For future problems like this, may I (with great respect) suggest you have a
    look in Excel's Help facility?
    best wishes
    --
    Bernard V Liengme
    www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    vandenberg p
    Guest

    Re: What does ABS mean in front of a Formula

    Hello:

    Second one, try pushing F2 when you have these type of questions.

    Pieter Vandenberg

    william4444 <[email protected]> wrote:

    : Hi all,

    : Have a question am absolute puzzelled. The below formula has ABS after
    : =. The formula just caclulates a ratio thou when you do it without ABS
    : in front the Ratio is negative eg: -19, thou when you put ABS in front
    : it rides the Negative eg: 19. Why does it do this & what does ABS mean.
    : WOULD APPRECIATE ALL THE HELP AM AGAIN CONFUSSED I NEED A HOLIDAY.
    : Cheers
    : Will

    : =ABS(C36/B36)

    : --
    : william4444
    : ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    : william4444's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=33991
    : View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=537570

  5. #5
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: What does ABS mean in front of a Formula

    Which would put user in cell edit mode and may be of limited functionality in
    this case.

    Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

  6. #6
    vandenberg p
    Guest

    Re: What does ABS mean in front of a Formula

    Hello:

    That's why help never comes up! I thought my Excel was broken.

    Pieter Vandenberg

    Gord Dibben <gorddibbATshawDOTca> wrote:
    : Which would put user in cell edit mode and may be of limited functionality in
    : this case.

    : Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

    : On Sun, 30 Apr 2006 17:22:48 +0000 (UTC), vandenberg p <[email protected]>
    : wrote:

    :>Hello:
    :>
[...]
    :>: --