need Blank column in invoice

  1. #1
    Frank
    Guest

    need Blank column in invoice

    Hi,
    How can I make(or hide) contents of cell unless the cell before it isfilled
    in? Hope i said that right. My invoice has a payment col and balance col
    next to each other,. I want to have the formula in the balance column all
    the way down, but it should be emty until a payment is filled in?
    Thanks
    Frank

  2. #2
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: need Blank column in invoice

    Frank

    Trap for no entry in the payment column by entering a formula in the balance
    column.

    =IF(payment_cellref="","",balance_formula)

    Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

  3. #3
    Frank
    Guest

    Re: need Blank column in invoice

    Gord,
    Thank you, but I already have the balance minus payment formula in the
    balance col? How can I put both? formula is simple like =(d3-c4) where d is
    the balance and c is the payment.Sorry for the very basic question.
    thank you
    Frank

  4. #4
    Don Guillett
    Guest

    Re: need Blank column in invoice

    Re-read Gord's post

    --
    Don Guillett
    SalesAid Software
    news:[email protected]...

  5. #5
    Frank
    Guest

    Re: need Blank column in invoice

    Don,
    If I understood what he meant, I would not have posted again. I am not an
    idiot, just new to excel.
    Frank

    news:[email protected]...

  6. #6
    Don Guillett
    Guest

    Re: need Blank column in invoice

    he meant if there was not a value in the cell show a blank,otherwise show
    the formula.

  7. #7
    Frank
    Guest

    Re: need Blank column in invoice

    Well Don,
    Thanks for trying, but at this point I will give up and suffer through what
    I have set up already. You see, I understand what his formula is saying,
    sort of, but I do not understand where it goes. If I put it in a cell in the
    balance column, then I have no formula for sutracting the pymt from the
    balance.Maybe I am describing it wrong, very possible indeed.
    Col A is the date of pymt.(no formula, just formatted for date)
    Col B is the payment .(no formula, just formatted for currency)
    Col C is the remaining balance with the formula for subtracting pymt from
    beginning balance, leaving value of remaining balance in col C..
    Whew!!
    Thanks for trying,

  8. #8
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: need Blank column in invoice

    Frank

    A few assumptions...........

    You have a payment in B1 of $123

    You have a starting balance in C1 of $562

    In C2 enter =IF(B1="","",C1-B1)

    Drag/copy that formula down a ways then start pounding payments into column B

    Gord

  9. #9
    Frank
    Guest

    Re: need Blank column in invoice

    Hurray, It Works!
    Thanks Gord and thanks to Don also. I am studying as much as I can so I can
    understand better.
    frank

  10. #10
    jehunter
    Guest

    Re: need Blank column in invoice

    Frank,

    Earlier, in one of your posts, you mentioned that you use the Club Connect
    Software at work. I am trying to find out if there is any sort of softcopy
    documentation available for it.

    I can explain more in detail offline if you would like.

    Thanks.....