how to multiply two columns

  1. #1
    ralngm
    Guest

    how to multiply two columns

    Hi, i have two columns (A and B) with 126 datas each. And i want to multiply
    column A with Column B and like to displayed in column C. pls. help me to do
    this..thanks.

  2. #2
    Pete_UK
    Guest

    Re: how to multiply two columns

    Assuming your data starts in A1, then in C1 enter this formula:

    =A1*B1

    Select C1 again and double-click the fill handle - this is the small
    black square at the bottom right corner of the cursor, and
    double-clicking it will cause the formula to be replicated down column
    C for as many data items as you have in column B.

    Hope this helps.

    Pete

  3. #3
    ralngm
    Guest

    Re: how to multiply two columns

    it really works..thanks again..but finally have to drag the border of the
    cell in C1 in order to get..

  4. #4
    Pete_UK
    Guest

    Re: how to multiply two columns

    Thanks for feeding back - not sure if you managed to get the
    double-click feature to work, but it is a big time-saver.

    Pete

  5. #5
    David McRitchie
    Guest

    Re: how to multiply two columns

    You got the double-click of the fill handle to work but they say you
    have to drag the border of the cell C1 and then the sentence is unfinished.
    Dragging borders is something else again and I don't really see how it
    applies in your question as it would cause a rearrangement (or a replacement)
    of cells or column, rows..

    Both fill handle and dragging borders are described in
    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/fillhand.htm

    ---
    HTH,

  6. #6
    USA, AL
    MS-Off Ver

    Re: how to multiply two columns

    ...and more than eight years later...this worked; saved me so much time. Thanks for this forum.