[SOLVED] Define and Reference fixed data in a table

  1. #1
    RedHook
    Guest

    [SOLVED] Define and Reference fixed data in a table

    Hi All

    I'm new to Excel and would like to know if it's possible to do the
    following:

    Define a table(2 dimensional array) of fixed data like this:

    Tom **** Harry

    Alpha 10 7 5

    Bravo 6 27 4

    Charlie 17 22 8

    I'd then like to be able to reference each element in the array using
    the row and column identifiers as indexes, so (Alpha, Harry) would
    return 5, (Charlie,Harry) would return 8 and so on.

    Tia
    RH

  2. #2
    Ardus Petus
    Guest

    Re: Define and Reference fixed data in a table

    Say you have Alpha in F1, Harry in G1 and your data (including headers) in
    A1:D4
    Enter formula:
    =INDEX(B2:D4,EQUIV(F1,A2:A4,0),EQUIV(G1,B1:D1,0))

    AP

    [email protected]...

  3. #3
    RedHook
    Guest

    Re: Define and Reference fixed data in a table

    Thanks Ardus - works great, although I had to use MATCH instead of
    EQUIV for some reason.

  4. #4
    Ardus Petus
    Guest

    Re: Define and Reference fixed data in a table

    The reason is I'm a bloody frenchman, and forgot to translate the formula!

    Cheers,

  5. #5
    RagDyeR
    Guest

    Re: Define and Reference fixed data in a table

    With your present configuration, you might try the "intersection operator",
    which is a <Space>.

    =Bravo ****
    OR
    =**** Bravo