Calculating time

  1. #1
    Teri
    Guest

    Calculating time

    I know this question has been asked before, but the answers that I have found
    do not seem to work for me for some reason. I am probably doing something
    wrong. What I need to do is calculate hours worked for the day. I have set
    up a spreadsheet to include the following:
    C3 is the time in
    D3 is the time out
    E3 is .5 hours (this is lunch)
    F3 is the total number hours worked for the day. The formula I have put in
    this cell is: =HOUR(D3-C3)-E3 [this is exactly how the formula is typed in]

    Now, if someone put their time in as 7:30 a.m. and their time out at 4:00
    p.m. and they take the .5 hour lunch, I need F3 to reflect an 8 hour day. If
    they put their time in as 7:00 a.m. and time out as 4:00 p.m. with a .5 hour
    lunch, I need F3 to reflect an 8.5 hour day, and so on.

    Am I doing something wrong?

    Thanks!!

    Teri.

  2. #2
    Niek Otten
    Guest

    Re: Calculating time

    Hi Teri,

    Easier with European time, but essentially the same:

    C3: 7:30
    D3: 16:00
    E3: 0:30

    =D3-C3-E3

    Gives you 8:00

    --
    Kind regards,

    Niek Otten

  3. #3
    Ardus Petus
    Guest

    Re: Calculating time

    Enter 0:30 in E3, instead of .5

    AP

    [email protected]...

  4. #4
    Teri
    Guest

    Re: Calculating time

    Niek,

    Thank you so much for getting back to me so quickly! I have changed my
    formula to what you suggested and F3 returns #VALUE!. I have all the cells
    EXCEPT F3 formatted as time in the 24-hour clock format (I believe that is
    what you meant be "European time"). I figured this was going to be a very
    simple spreadsheet, but has turned into a headache!

    Thank you again!

    Teri.