Date formats

  1. #1
    mohd21uk via OfficeKB.com
    Guest

    Date formats

    I have a column in a spreadsheet containing dates.Some of the dates are in
    the date format while others are in a five digit format such as 38364 which
    is not recognisable as a date. How can I convert these numbers to provide me
    with a date.

    Mnay Thanks.

  2. #2
    Pete_UK
    Guest

    Re: Date formats

    Just highlight the complete column by clicking on the column identifier
    (the grey button at the top of the column), then Format | Cells |
    Number (tab) and choose Date with an appropriate format, then click OK.

    Your numbers like 38364 should now be converted to dates (this
    represents 12th Jan 2005).

    Hope this helps.

    Pete

  3. #3
    mohd21uk via OfficeKB.com
    Guest

    Re: Date formats

    The problem comes up when I import the worksheet in Access. The date format
    then reverts back to numbers. Is there any way that I can preserve this.

    Thanks again.

  4. #4
    Pete_UK
    Guest

    Re: Date formats

    Do you mean that you bring the data from Access into Excel? If so, then
    you could record a simple macro while you format the column as dates
    (as above), so that for future imports you can just run the macro again
    to save you a few mouse-clicks.

    Hope this helps.

    Pete