how to find an intersect of two columns

  1. #1

    how to find an intersect of two columns

    Hi,
    I am new to this forum and am trying to explore excel. I want to find the common names between two columns and get the number of the common names. how do i do it
    Thanks
    sarora

  2. #2
    JMB
    Guest

    RE: how to find an intersect of two columns

    If one list is in B1:B4, the other in A1:A10, this seems to work. Change
    ranges as necessary:

    SUMPRODUCT(--ISNUMBER(MATCH(B1:B4,A1:A10,0)))

  3. #3

    thanks but can you simpify it further

    Hi,
    Thanks for the reply but being a beginner i didnt understand it completely. if i have one set of names in column A and the other set in column B, how do i pick the names common to both the columns.
    Thanks a lot
    shilpi

  4. #4
    JMB
    Guest

    Re: how to find an intersect of two columns

    Sorry, I misunderstood. I thought you just wanted the number of duplicate
    items, but you want to identify the actual duplicate items. One way, in C1
    enter

    =IF(ISNA(MATCH(B1,A:A,0)),"","X")

    copy down as far as the data in column B. the cells with an "X" are
    duplicates. you can then use an autofilter on column C to filter and copy
    the data to another worksheet if needed.