Taking Certian Data only from 2 Spreadsheets

  1. #1
    australia

    Taking Certian Data only from 2 Spreadsheets

    Hi All,

    I have 39 Excel Spreadsheets & there are only certain figures i would like in each spreadsheet & they are all in the same Coloumn & row. I would like these figures to go into another spreadsheet i have created how can i do this?? Is it possible? Can i transfer them over into a new spreadsheet so within this new sheet i then can caculate them all. Would appreciate all the help.

    Cheers
    Will

  2. #2
    Max
    Guest

    Re: Taking Certian Data only from 2 Spreadsheets

    One way would be via using INDIRECT

    Perhaps a simple example to illustrate ..

    In Sheet4,

    Suppose we list sheetnames across in B1:D1,
    eg: Sheet1, Sheet2, Sheet3

    and we have the cell refs of interest listed down in A2:A3,
    eg: A1, A3

    Then, we could put in B2: =INDIRECT("'" & B$1 & "'!" & $A2)
    and copy B2 across & down to D3 ..

    B2:D2 will return the same as the link formulas:
    =Sheet1!A1, =Sheet2!A1, etc

    B3:D3 will return the same as the link formulas:
    =Sheet1!A3, =Sheet2!A3, etc

    INDIRECT will resolve the concatenation of the sheetname and cell ref text
    strings to return the results from the particular sheet and cell listed in
    B1:D1, and in A2:A3. So we could design the layout and define / change the
    sheetnames and cell ref text strings in the header row/col to suit the
    purpose.

    And for a neater look, we could also suppress the display of "extraneous"
    zeros in Sheet4 via clicking:
    Tools > Options > View tab > Uncheck "Zero values" > OK
    --
    Max
    Singapore

  3. #3
    Max
    Guest

    Re: Taking Certian Data only from 2 Spreadsheets

    A sample construct is available at:
    http://www.savefile.com/files/5536280
    Indirect_Taking_certain data from 2 sheets.xls