Closed Thread
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Text Columns

  1. #1
    fak119
    Guest

    Text Columns

    I have to columns, alphabetically sorted, one with 1oo names, one with 8o-9o
    names, which are identical to the ones in the column with 1oo.

    Is there a way (formula or macro) that places the identical text (names)
    next to each other in the same row, leaving blank the cell where there is no
    match?

    The columns should then look like this:

    Miller Miller
    Smith
    Kerry Kerry
    Ferguson Ferguson
    Peters
    Black Black

    etc.

    Thank you

  2. #2
    Ardus Petus
    Guest

    Re: Text Columns

    Say 1st column is column A, 2nd column is column B.
    Enter in C1:
    =IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP(A1,B:B,1,0)),"",VLOOKUP(A1,B:B,1,0))
    and drag down

    AP

    [email protected]...

  3. #3
    fak119
    Guest

    Re: Text Columns

    That was great, thank you! However the problem is not yet completely solved...

    Next to each text (name) are values, but they are different! This value
    should go next to the name, and the final four columns would look like this:

  4. #4
    JLatham
    Guest

    RE: Text Columns

    Another solution that does not depend on the two columns being next to one
    another or even on the same worksheet, but the example shown does presume
    that first data series is in column A (rows 1 to 100) and second series is in
    B on the same sheet beginning in row 1 also. Put this in cell C1 and drag
    down:

    =IF(ISNA(MATCH(A1,B$1:B$100,0)),"",INDEX(B$1:B$100,MATCH(A1,B$1:B$100,0),0))

  5. #5
    Ardus Petus
    Guest

    Re: Text Columns

    See example: http://cjoint.com/?fDoVdlIkC3

  6. #6
    JLatham
    Guest

    Re: Text Columns

    Ok, revised for the new information presented.

    Assumptions - your data is laid out in A, B, C and D as you indicated and
    starts in row 1 and continues to row 100.
    To get the matching names, use this in E1 and drag down:
    =IF(ISNA(MATCH(A1,C$1:C$100,0)),"",INDEX(C$1:C$100,MATCH(A1,C$1:C$100,0),0))
    then in at F1 to get the value associated with the matched names, use this
    and drag down:
    =IF(ISNA(MATCH(A1,C$1:C$100,0)),"",INDEX(D$1:D$100,MATCH(A1,C$1:C$100,0),0))

  7. #7
    JLatham
    Guest

    Re: Text Columns

    We should stress that the names in BOTH lists should be in alphabetical order
    as you said they were in your original question, otherwise your results may
    not be as desired. Here's list of things as I set them up to test the
    equations:
    A B C D E F
    (E & F from formulas)
    Adria 15 Adria 7 Adria 7
    Harvey 33 Harvey 12 Harvey 12
    Jenna 7 Jerry 18
    Jerry 21 Lee 21 Jerry 18
    Lee 404 Mary 33 Lee 21
    Mary 18 Ralph 83 Mary 33
    Morris 83 Scoda 404
    Ralph 501 Tom 501 Ralph 83
    Scoda 12 Scoda 404
    Tom 66 Tom 501

  8. #8
    fak119
    Guest

    Re: Text Columns

    Brilliant!

    Merci beaucoup !

  9. #9
    Ragdyer
    Guest

    Re: Text Columns

    Say your first list is in A1 to B100,
    And your second list is in D1 to E100.

    Enter this formula in F1:

    =IF(ISNA(MATCH($A1,$D$1:$D$100,0)),"",INDEX($D$1:$E$100,MATCH($A1,$D$1:$D$10
    0,0),COLUMNS($A:A)))

    Copy across to G1,
    Then select *both* F1 and G1, and drag down to copy.

    Really no need for anything to be sorted.
    --
    HTH,

    RD

    news:[email protected]...