Why arent my blank cells moved to the end when I do a sort?

  1. #1
    George
    Guest

    Why arent my blank cells moved to the end when I do a sort?

    Whenever I delete a row of data on my spreadsheet and then try to resort
    (ascending or descending) it acts as though the information is still there or
    it will sort the rows between the empty rows separately from the rest of the
    spreadsheet.

  2. #2
    Roger Govier
    Guest

    Re: Why arent my blank cells moved to the end when I do a sort?

    Hi George

    Choose the complete range of your data (including the blank rows) before
    performing the Sort.Do not let Excel choose the range for you.

    --
    Regards

    Roger Govier

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    David McRitchie
    Guest

    Re: Why arent my blank cells moved to the end when I do a sort?

    Hi George,
    Roger told you what to do. As for the reason, you pretty much nailed
    that yourself. Excel will choose the Current Region (Ctrl+Shift+*)
    if you have a single cell selected.

    You will find the definition of "current region" in the definition of the shortcut
    Ctrl+Shift+* (within topic "Select cells with specific characteristics")

    Ctrl+Shift+* (asterisk)
    Select the current region around the active cell (the data area enclosed by blank rows and blank columns). In a PivotTable report,
    select the entire PivotTable report.

    More information on sorting on my sorting.htm web page.

    Apparently you were deleting the content of a row or column,
    but not the entire row or column. Anyway as Roger said to the
    selection yourself, before invoking the sort. Or risk losing the
    integrity of your data. You can use the gray button between
    the row numbers and column letters, or before Excel 2003 you
    can use Ctrl+A. With Excel 2003 it becomes more complicated.
    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel...x2k.htm#foobar

    HTH,

    "Roger Govier" <[email protected]> wrote l...

  4. #4
    Felicity
    Guest

    RE: Why arent my blank cells moved to the end when I do a sort?

    Place your cursor on the number of the row, right click and delete. This
    will remove the empty row.