Hashes appear in cell when copying from another

  1. #1
    Hnelg
    Guest

    Hashes appear in cell when copying from another

    Hi,

    I have imported some .txt data into a Excel 2003 spreadsheet. In some
    instances, I have had to copy the data from one cell below another such that
    the text makes sense. However, in some instances when I do so, the cell
    that is being copied to gets filled completely with the hash symbol (#).
    Initially, I thought that the problem was only due to cell column width but
    when I expand the width the problem still persists.

    Doe anyone have any ideas?

  2. #2
    hans bal(nl)
    Guest

    RE: Hashes appear in cell when copying from another

    Instead of copying part of the data to the cell below, try to wrap the txt in
    one cell.

    Select the cells,

    Press Ctrl + 1
    Select tab "alignment"
    Choose "word Wrap"

    This should save upou some work.

    HTH

  3. #3
    Hnelg
    Guest

    RE: Hashes appear in cell when copying from another

    Hans,

    Thanks for the tip - but no good! By the way, when you mentioned "word
    Wrap" do you in fact mean "Wrap text" or is this another option that I'm not
    seeing?

    I suppose at the end of the day, what I need is a quick way of merging cells
    such that the data from the cell below another is quickly merged (appended)
    to the one above.

  4. #4
    hans bal(nl)
    Guest

    RE: Hashes appear in cell when copying from another

    Wrap text is what I meant. Sorry.

    As I understand it now, it looks like you have the problem that the imported
    text is partially imported in one cell and partially in the cell below. Is
    that correct

    Might it be that the total text becomes too long for the cell if you append
    the context of the second cell to the first ?

    Hans

  5. #5
    Ravi
    Guest

    Re: Hashes appear in cell when copying from another

    Hi,

    That's right if the contents of the cell are too large and cannot be
    displayed in that single cell.To resolve the issue

    1..Right click on the cell and then left click on format Cells.In the
    allignment tab click on wraptext and that should solve the issue.

    To avoid doind this on multiple cells on the page
    -.Click on edit then click select all
    -click on format and then click cells.
    -Now click on alignment tab and click on wrap text

    Regards
    Ravi

  6. #6
    Hnelg
    Guest

    Re: Hashes appear in cell when copying from another

    Hi,

    Got around this by changing the cell format from "Text" to "General"

    Thanks for the assistance all the same.