linking 2 workbooks

  1. #1
    dk
    Guest

    linking 2 workbooks

    We have 2 workbooks which we want to get data from 1 to the other
    ex: column a: we will manually input figures
    column b: we want to get all new data when ever entered in the other
    workbook in column g,
    column c: shall sum the totals of column A:A -B:B
    how do we do that

  2. #2
    Miguel Zapico
    Guest

    RE: linking 2 workbooks

    You can use a direct reference to the workbook as the formula. The easiest
    way is open the two workbooks, select the first cell on column B on the first
    one, type =, change to the other workbook and select the equivalent on column
    G that you want. Excel will fill the formula for you, and then you can drag
    it on the column.
    To make the sum, you may use something like this in column C:
    =SUM(A:B)

    Hope this helps,
    Miguel.

  3. #3
    dk
    Guest

    RE: linking 2 workbooks

    Don't understand
    1. we will input tommorow also new data will it update automatically from 1
    to second workbork
    2. We don't understand were to put the = sign in each cell or the first row
    please explain?

  4. #4
    Miguel Zapico
    Guest

    RE: linking 2 workbooks

    1. If you have the formula, yes, it will take the value when it is updated.
    2. What you need is a formula like =[Workbook Name]Sheet1!$A$1. I was
    jumping directly to a way of doing it faster than typing, I should have write
    the formula before. Just write the name of your Workbook instead of Workbook
    Name, your worksheet instead of Sheet1, and your range instead of $A$1

    Miguel.