Fill the values regardnig the condition

  1. #1
    milos
    Guest

    Fill the values regardnig the condition

    Hi, I have a table with norms:
    a b

    1 10 over65
    2 9 65
    3 8 58
    4 7 50
    5 6 43
    6 5 36
    7 4 29
    8 3 22
    92 14
    101 7

    And I have a table of results
    c d
    1 35 x1
    2 15 x2
    3 13 x3
    4 23 x4
    5 32 x5
    6 35 x6
    etc.
    x1-x6 should be filled automatically with the proper category - if first
    result is 35, then the category (x1) should be 5 (it's more then 29, but less
    then 36). x2 should be 3, x3 - 2 etc. how can i write conditions for this.
    thanx

  2. #2
    hans bal(nl)
    Guest

    RE: Fill the values regardnig the condition

    Invert your table like this :
    A B C
    0 1
    10 7 2
    9 14 3
    8 22 4
    7 29 5
    6 36 6
    5 43 7
    4 50 8
    3 58 9
    2 65 10
    1 Over 65

    And then use a lookup formula : =VLOOKUP(E3,$B$1:$C$11,2,1)

    ( assuming that your results table starts in Cell E3)

    HTH

  3. #3
    Pete_UK
    Guest

    Re: Fill the values regardnig the condition

    Enter this formula in D1:

    =INDEX(A$1:A$10,MATCH(C1,B$1:B$10,-1))

    and copy down for as many values as you have in column C.

    I would suggest that you change your entry in B1 to 110 (or something
    similar) rather than the text "over65".

    Hope this helps.

    Pete