Trouble with vLookup

  1. #1
    lcks via OfficeKB.com
    Guest

    Trouble with vLookup

    Not sure if I am using the right formula however this is what I want to
    achieve.

    On "Main" spreadsheet I have a long list of Names in column (B:B) - not in
    assending order and a separate workbook i will call "Data" with similiar
    names however this list is shorter and does not all included the names in
    the MAIN spreadsheet - this sheet I have in alphabetical order.

    vlookup(B:B,C3:F30,4,false) - this didn't work - vlookup(B:B,C3:F30,4) -this
    worked when B:B was smaller then the array and with both in assending.

    I want to look up the name in column B "main spreadsheet" I can reference to
    a single cell if need to, I want to go and search in my "Data" workbook array
    B3:E30 the name is in the "B" once find the match, I want to return the value
    in the 4 column in the array on my Main spreadsheet and if the name is not
    found than enter "0" in my "Main" spreadsheet.

    Thank you

  2. #2
    Roger Govier
    Guest

    Re: Trouble with vLookup

    Hi

    Try
    In workbook Data
    =IF(ISERROR(VLOOKUP(B1,[Main.xls]Sheet1!$B$3:$E$30,4,0)),0,
    VLOOKUP(B1,[Main.xls]Sheet1!$B$3:$E$30,4,0))
    copy down as far as required

    This assumes you do have a separate workbook called Main.xls and that
    your data is on sheet - change accordingly.
    If they are not separate workbooks, but separate sheets in the same
    workbook, then change
    [Main.xls]Sheet1!$B$3:$E$30 to Main!$B$3:$E$30

    --
    Regards

    Roger Govier