Getting valid web searches and avoiding sites that contaminate web searches

  1. #1
    David McRitchie
    Guest

    Getting valid web searches and avoiding sites that contaminate web searches

    Getting valid web searches and avoiding use of "Forums" that contaminate
    Google web searches by including newsgroups postings.

    Newsgroups postings can be searched using Google Groups, and such
    postings should NOT show up on a typical web search. For more
    information on (Excel) Newsgroups see
    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/xlnews.htm

    WEB SEARCHES:
    Using a Google web search is about the usual way you can get to web
    sites with Excel information. There are other search engines available
    but Google is the most popular, and probably still has the most links.

    The problem with web searches is the contamination from spammy sites.
    Just like there are many degrees of spam the same can be said of
    spammy sites, so most of what you are seeing fits under the radar
    of measurements. Just like off topic posts to multiple newsgroups
    is frequently off the radar of spam measurements, even though that
    was the original definition of spam. Google and others will usually
    catch spam directed to thousands of servers/newsgroups as you
    can somewhat see in your ISPs spam folders.

    But the sites I am saying that contaminate the Google web search
    results are those that attract people to post questions through their site
    when in fact all they are doing is passing the postings on to actual
    newsgroups, and then those plus all responses end up on their
    website to attract more users doing web searches.

    One way to eliminate a lot of such webpages is to include negatives
    on a web search -htm -site:excelforum.com -site:exceltips.com
    unfortunately you would need over eighty such items that are even more
    generic than those. And Google only allows you about 30 items.
    Along these lines are 3 google search forms on my search.htm page.

    A better way is to use Firefox and install "Customize Google" and create
    your filter of sites you do not want to visit. Unfortunately for my own filter, it
    is only for Excel and as you can only have one filter, so I would have to turn
    off the filter for searches when I want to see forums for applications that
    don't make much use of newsgroups (i.e. help with Firefox).

    Sites that I filter out are those that regurgitate newsgroup postings, and sites that
    are more interested in advertising than in providing free useful Excel information.
    More information on my Firefox page in this section (has links, including to my filter)
    Note my filtering works for me, others may want to be more specific in their choices.
    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/firef...ustomizegoogle

    The quickest way for many would be to search only certain websites
    for Excel information -- these would be fairly much weighted toward
    present and past Excel MVPs which is not a bad place to start but
    for specialized material for a specific vocations you could be missing
    lot of really valuable information. See Ron de Bruin's site
    http://www.rondebruin.nl/Google.htm for Google Search Excel Add-in

    By posting your own questions directly to a newsgroup instead of
    through a web site, you are not enabling such sites. Exceptions
    of web pages that will not add to the problem are Google Groups and
    Microsoft Communities (discussions), that specifically exclude themselves
    from Google web searches.
    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/xlnews.htm

    If you are not behind a firewall you can post directly to a newsgroup
    with Outlook Express, or through your browser, paste the following
    into your browser's address bar (location bar)

    ISPs used to help you with newsgroups, that seems to be pretty
    much a thing of the past.

    For tips on using Outlook Express see
    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/oe/oe6.htm

    footnote:
    This was getting much too specific about working with newsgroups so started
    this post more or less as a continuation from:
    http://groups.google.com/groups?thre...TNGP04.phx.gbl

    ---
    HTH,

    ---
    HTH, (Hope This Helps)

  2. #2
    David McRitchie
    Guest

    Re: Getting valid web searches and avoiding sites that contaminate web searches

    > And Google only allows you about 30 items.

    Meant to look that up before actually posting
    -- the limit is actually 32 items in a Google search