column value translation

  1. #1
    charles
    Guest

    column value translation

    I'm sorry if this is already here somewhere, but I could't find any references.

    I need to upload a list of people into our computer system and this list is
    comprised of their names and the code for the branch where they work. The
    computer system into which I need to upload this list will not recognize the
    current branch ID code for those employees, but I do have a list that is
    basically a comparison of the two different codes. For example branch code
    800 on the list equals branch code C001 in the system. I need to get a way in
    excel to convert all the branch codes that are next to the employees to the
    code I have currently in our system. Is there a way in Excel to "translate"
    the existing (non-system recognized) codes into the ones that they euate to
    in the system? I'm sorry if this is a basic question. I only starte using
    Excel a little while ago and am learning as I'm going.

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: column value translation

    Look at VLOOKUP in help, and post back if you get stuck.

    Bob Phillips

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    charles
    Guest

    RE: column value translation

    Thanks Tim,
    I've got one spread sheet with about 80 locations listed on it. This list is
    in two columns, new ID and old ID. then I have the list of employees on
    another spread sheet and next to them is the old ID. I need to come up with a
    new list of employees that shows them with the correct new ID next to them.

  4. #4
    Tim M

  5. #5
    charles

  6. #6
    Tim M

  7. #7
    charles
    Guest

    Re: column value translation

    I tried that, but it didn't work right. I have the one spread sheet with the
    old and new branch ID's and then I have the spread sheet of employees with
    the old ID's. when I did the VLOOKUP anytime an employee had an old ID that
    had occured on the list "up above" it came back with a value of #NA. I've got
    about 20K people on this list and there will be a lot on there that share the
    same branch code

  8. #8
    charles
    Guest

    RE: column value translation

    Tim,
    I used your formula ( =VLOOKUP(C1,$A$1:$B$1300,2,FALSE) )
    I found in a differet post about Find and Replace and it worked!!! Thanks