How to create a table with numbers from 1 to 600?

  1. #1
    F R A N K
    Guest

    How to create a table with numbers from 1 to 600?

    Hi!
    I need to create a table with numbers ranging from 1 to 600. It could be
    simpler.
    Just automatically filling cells with these numbers in increasing order.
    I'm trying with excel, which sould be the most appropriate software to do
    that, but I'm very negated with it. Could you please help me?
    Thanks a lot, ciao!

  2. #2
    Ron Coderre
    Guest

    RE: How to create a table with numbers from 1 to 600?

    If the list of number is all in one column, try something like this:

    Enter a 1 in cell A1
    Select Cell A1

    From the Excel main menu:
    Series in: Column
    Stop Value: 600
    Click the [OK] button

    Does that help?
    ***********
    Regards,
    Ron

    XL2002, WinXP

  3. #3
    F R A N K
    Guest

    RE: How to create a table with numbers from 1 to 600?

    Thank you so much, but I need to use both rows and columns. Can you please
    help me again? Thanks a lot! :-)))
    Ciao

  4. #4
    Ron Coderre
    Guest

    RE: How to create a table with numbers from 1 to 600?

    Perhaps something like this:

    A2: =F1+1
    B1: =A2+1
    Copy that cell across thru F2

    Copy A2:F2
    Paste down thru row 101

    To "hardcode" those numbers
    Select the A2:F101
    <edit><copy>

    Adjust references to suit your situation.

    Does that help?
    ***********
    Regards,
    Ron

    XL2002, WinXP

  5. #5
    Ron Coderre
    Guest

    RE: How to create a table with numbers from 1 to 600?

    Today's my day for typos..

    This is the correct formula:
    B2: =A2+1

    NOT B1: =A2+1

    apologies
    ***********
    Regards,
    Ron

    XL2002, WinXP

  6. #6
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: How to create a table with numbers from 1 to 600?

    Frank

    I realize this is the NewUsers group, but maybe you're willing to try some VBA.

    This macro allows you to build a table of numbers in rows and columns.

    Your choice of direction and scope.

    Sub FillNums()
    'to fill rows and columns with numbers from 1 to whatever
    Dim nrows As Integer
    Dim ncols As Integer
    On Error GoTo quitnow
    RowsorCols = InputBox("Fill Across = 1" & Chr(13) _
    & "Fill Down = 2")
    Num = 1
    nrows = InputBox("Enter Number of Rows")
    ncols = InputBox("Enter Number of Columns")
    If RowsorCols = 1 Then
    For across = 1 To nrows
    For down = 1 To ncols
    ActiveSheet.Cells(across, down).Value = Num
    Num = Num + 1
    Next down
    Next across
    Else
    For across = 1 To ncols
    For down = 1 To nrows
    ActiveSheet.Cells(down, across).Value = Num
    Num = Num + 1
    Next down
    Next across
    End If
    quitnow:
    End Sub

    If not familiar with VBA and macros, see David McRitchie's site for more on
    "getting started".

    In the meantime..........

    First...create a backup copy of your original workbook.

    To create a General Module, hit ALT + F11 to open the Visual Basic Editor.

    Hit CRTL + R to open Project Explorer.

    Find your workbook/project and select it.

    Right-click and Insert>Module. Paste the code in there. Save the
    workbook and hit ALT + Q to return to your workbook.

    Run the macro by going to Tool>Macro>Macros.

    You can also assign this macro to a button or a shortcut key combo

    Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

    On Thu, 15 Jun 2006 13:22:02 -0700, F R A N K <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >Thank you so much, but I need to use both rows and columns. Can you please
    >help me again? Thanks a lot! :-)))
    >Ciao
    >
    >"Ron Coderre" wrote:
    >
    >> If the list of number is all in one column, try something like this:
    >>
    >> Enter a 1 in cell A1
    >> Select Cell A1
    >>
    >> From the Excel main menu:
    >> Series in: Column
    >> Stop Value: 600
    >> Click the [OK] button
    >>
    >> Does that help?
    >> ***********
    >> Regards,
    >> Ron
    >>
    >> XL2002, WinXP
    >>

    >> "F R A N K" wrote:
    >>
    >> > Hi!
    >> > I need to create a table with numbers ranging from 1 to 600. It could be
    >> > simpler.
    >> > Just automatically filling cells with these numbers in increasing order.
    >> > I'm trying with excel, which sould be the most appropriate software to do
    >> > that, but I'm very negated with it. Could you please help me?
    >> > Thanks a lot, ciao!

    Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

  7. #7
    F R A N K
    Guest

    RE: How to create a table with numbers from 1 to 600?

    Oh my God... I'm very sorry but it seems I'm not able to understand yet. :-((((
    Excel is a complete mystery to me?
    Could you try to explain a step to step guide for a complete idiot (in using
    excel) like me?
    I don't understand what f1+1 or a2:f2 stands for!! :-(((
    You're very kind, thank you so much!!!
    Ciao

  8. #8
    Ron Coderre
    Guest

    RE: How to create a table with numbers from 1 to 600?

    OK..See if this works for you..

    If you want to create a grid of numbers from 1 thru 600, that is 6 columns
    by 100 rows, beginning in cell A2, do this:

    In cell A2 type: =F1+1
    Then press the [Enter] key.
    (The notation for those steps is A2: =F1+1)

    B2: =A2+1
    Copy that cell across thru F2
    Here's how:
    Select cell B2
    From the Excel main menu:<edit><copy>
    Select cells B2:F2
    Press the [Enter] key

    Copy A2:F2
    Paste down thru row 101
    Here's how:
    Select cells A2:F2
    From the Excel main menu:<edit><copy>
    Select cells A2:F101
    Press the [Enter] key

    That will create the table of numbers, but they will be formulas.
    If you want to convert them to "hardcoded" numbers (as if you typed them all
    in), do this:
    Select the A2:F101
    From the Excel main menu:<edit><copy>
    From the Excel main menu:<edit><paste special>
    Select: Values
    Press the [Enter] key

    Does that help?
    ***********
    Regards,
    Ron

    XL2002, WinXP

  9. #9
    F R A N K
    Guest

    RE: How to create a table with numbers from 1 to 600?

    Thank you so much!!!! It was hard for me to understand (:-/) but I finally
    Ciao from Italy!

  10. #10
    F R A N K
    Guest

    Re: How to create a table with numbers from 1 to 600?

    Thank you for the macro suggestion! I'd like a lot to understand them and use
    them, but I'm too much newbie I fear... :-(((
    Thanks anyway! Ciao :-)))