another complex =IF question

  1. #1
    gimp
    Guest

    another complex =IF question

    i was given the formula to use in cell A1 if cell b1 = x to make A1
    either be blank if it said something other than x, or if it said x it
    would generate an (*). now is there a formula that can be used in the
    same senario if B1 had a series of possible values to generate a (*) in
    cell A1?

    thanks again

  2. #2
    Ragdyer
    Guest

    Re: another complex =IF question

    Try this in A1:

    =IF(OR(B1={"X","Y","Z"}),"*","")

    --
    HTH,

    RD

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Franz Verga
    Guest

    Re: another complex =IF question

    If I well understand your problem, this formula is what you need:

    =IF(OR(B1="x",B1="a",B1=3),"(*)","")

    You can have till 30 conditions inside the OR function, so 30 possible
    values in B1 to have an (*) in A1.

    Nel post news:[email protected]

    --
    (I'm not sure of names of menus, options and commands, because
    translating from the Italian version of Excel...)

    Hope I helped you.

    Thanks in advance for your feedback.

    Ciao

    Franz Verga from Italy

  4. #4
    Franz Verga
    Guest

    Re: another complex =IF question

    This is avery interesting formula, I never saw before such use of array in
    an OR function...
    As far you know it's possible to use this way to shorten such a formula:

    =IF(AND(B1>=5,B1<=10,something,something_else)

    I've tried with this:

    =IF(AND(B1&{">=","<="}&{5,10}),"*","")

    but I have a #VALUE! as a result.

  5. #5
    Ragdyer
    Guest

    Re: another complex =IF question

    It's called an "Array Constant"

    From XL's Help file:

    Items that an array constant can contain

    · Array constants can contain numbers, text, logical values such as TRUE or
    FALSE, or error values such as #N/A.
    · Numbers in array constants can be in integer, decimal, or scientific
    format.
    · Text must be enclosed in double quotation marks, for example "Tuesday".
    · You can use different types of values in the same array constant, for
    example, {1,3,4;TRUE,FALSE,TRUE}.
    · The values in an array constant must be constants, not formulas.

    · Array constants cannot contain $ (dollar signs), parentheses, or %
    (percent signs).
    · Array constants cannot contain cell references.
    · Array constants cannot contain columns or rows of unequal length.

    RD

    news:[email protected]...

    -

    -

  6. #6
    gimp
    Guest

    Re: another complex =IF question

    ok what is the longest formula that can be created like this. i maxed
    it out came back saying formula too long. i prolly have 1000 or more
    possibilities.

  7. #7
    Franz Verga
    Guest

    Re: another complex =IF question

    I told you you have max 30 conditions, so max 30 values, but if you have
    1000 or more possibilities, you can try with VLOOKUP function in this way:

    =IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP(B1,$A$3:$A$29,1,0))),"","*")

    where $A$3:$A$29 is the range with all the possible conditions (one per each
    cell).

    Obviously you have to set your own range.

  8. #8
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: another complex =IF question

    You can't build a formula like that, and why would you?

    Bob Phillips

    -

    -

  9. #9
    Max
    Guest

    Re: another complex =IF question

    Just another play to try ..

    Assume all the 1000+ possible values are listed in say, Sheet2's col A

    Then in Sheet1,
    Put in A1:
    =IF(ISNUMBER(MATCH(B1,Sheet2!A:A,0)),"*","")
    Copy A1 down to return correspondingly
    --
    Max
    Singapore