[solved] compare identical data

  1. #1
    holagigi
    Guest

    [solved] compare identical data

    Hi,
    I have two different excel spreadsheets.
    1- With a list of product reference numbers,description and EAN code total
    of 7404 lines
    2- The same information as above along with more codes,prices and
    descriptions. 219 lines

    Thereference numbers in wrksht 1 and 2 match. So if you did control find you
    find an exact match! However, to do control find for 219 lines of data takes
    allot of time. Is there another way I can extract the exact matches?

    Please let me know if you need more detail.
    holagigi

  2. #2
    Marcelo
    Guest

    RE: COMPARE IDENTICAL DATA

    Hi,

    The first list is in A2:B19, and this range is named OldList. The second
    list is in D2:E19, and the range is named NewList. The ranges were named
    using the Insert - Name - Define command. Naming the ranges is not necessary,
    but it makes them easier to work with.

    As you can see, items in OldList that do not appear in NewList are
    highlighted with a yellow background. Items in NewList that do not appear in
    OldList are highlighted with a green background. These colors are the result
    of Conditional Formatting.

    How to do it
    Start by selecting the OldList range.
    Choose Format - Conditional Formatting
    In the Conditional Formatting dialog box, use the drop-down list to choose
    Formula is.
    Enter this formula:

    =COUNTIF(NewList,A2)=0
    Click the Format button and specify the formatting to apply when the
    condition is true (a yellow background in this example).
    Click OK

    The cells in the NewList range will use a similar conditional formatting
    formula.

    Select the NewList range.
    Choose Format - Conditional Formatting
    In the Conditional Formatting dialog box, use the drop-down list to choose
    Formula is.
    Enter this formula:

    =COUNTIF(OldList,D2)=0
    Click the Format button and specify the formatting to apply when the
    condition is true (a green background in this example).
    Click OK
    Both of these conditional formatting formulas use the COUNTIF function. This
    function counts the number of times a particular value appears in a range. If
    the formula returns 0, it means that the item does not appear in the range.
    Therefore, the conditional formatting kicks in and the cell's background
    color is changed.

    The cell reference in the COUNTIF function should always be the upper left
    cell of the selected range.

    hth
    regards from Brazil
    Marcelo

  3. #3
    holagigi
    Guest

    RE: COMPARE IDENTICAL DATA

    Hi Marcelo,
    I am a little confused.
    When you say A2:B19 you are just using that as an example correct?

    You realize I have the data in two different worksheets correct? I tried to
    follow your steps and it didn't work. Any more information would be helpful.

    holagigi
    Regards from spain

  4. #4
    Marcelo
    Guest

    RE: COMPARE IDENTICAL DATA

    Hola,

    I have tried it here before and it works,
    yes a2:b19 are sample - adjust for your range as your convinience
    as we are using names does not matter if it is on another w.sheet

    both data table as big as?

    gracias. avante furia
    nos vemos no sabado....
    ;o)