creating an advanced employee schedule

  1. #1

    creating an advanced employee schedule

    Hello Everyone
    I need to make an employee schedule in excel. I am not sure if it is possible, but here are my constraints:

    20 employees

    5-6 different meeting locations (sm1, sm2, sm3, sm4, sm5, sm6) These locations are scattered within our service area.

    some employees can only meet at certain locations (ex. paul can meet at either sm2 or sm3)

    all employees are PT so they can only work on certain days or a certain amount of days per week. (ex. paul can work up to 4 days a week and jim can work only sat and fri)

    I would like to make a program in excel that will take all these factors into consideration. EX. if i try to schedule paul on sm4 the program will not let me do it or it will give a warning or if i try to schedule paul for 5 days it will give me a warning.
    It would also be great to have a counter that will show how many days each employee has left to be scheduled for, EX: if i scheduled paul for 2 days it will show that he can actually work 2 days more if i need him to.

    I know this might be a lot, but i also know there are so many talented people here so i am sure it is feasible. Please let me know if you know how to do this or if you could guide me through it.

    or if you know about a different program that can solve this please let me know
    Thanks in advance

  2. #2
    JLatham
    Guest

    RE: creating an advanced employee schedule

    This can be done in Excel, but it is actually a problem that is more
    appropriately solved with a database application such as Microsoft Access.

    I've worked up a solution in Excel, if you'd like to examine it, just reply
    to this posting and I'll put it up with some explanation on how it works.
    It's a little complex, and definitely too much to explain in the space
    available here. I can put the workbook up on my website and give you a link
    to it. I'd put it up now but I haven't added any explanations to it to help
    you understand what's going on.

  3. #3
    JLatham
    Guest

    RE: creating an advanced employee schedule

    I managed to put together some "how to use" info and a discussion of how it
    works, and the file has been uploaded if you want it here:
    http://www.jlathamsite.com/uploads/for_henrijkt.xls

    Contact info is in the workbook if you need to ask about it specifically.

  4. #4
    Thanks, i really appriciate that you took time to figure something out, ill take a look at it right away