How do I make editable PDF forms using Excel?

  1. #1
    Haplo
    Guest

    How do I make editable PDF forms using Excel?

    First off let me say I apologize for not keeping my Microsoft Office skills
    up to par. I just spent a few hours making a very nice-looking, printable
    member registration form using Excel. Unfortunately, I now want to be able to
    convert it to PDF, and make it so that the answer fields are editable in the
    PDF. ...but don't see how. Is there a way to do that using Excel? (I suppose
    my first problem is that I need help inserting editable form fields into
    excel worksheets? It seems to me I used to be able to do that, but I have
    completely forgotten to do that. I can in Word...but copying and pasting to
    Word only ruins my otherwise lovely registration form. Should I be
    'exporting' or something?).

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: How do I make editable PDF forms using Excel?

    Haplo

    You may be chasing after something not attainable.

    I don't know if PDF files can have editable fields or not, but don't think so.

    Hope I'm proved wrong, I'd like to know how.

    Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

  3. #3
    JLatham
    Guest

    Re: How do I make editable PDF forms using Excel?

    To do this you would need the full Adobe Acrobat package. The Acrobat editor
    in it does permit adding editable fields to a .pdf document. Unlike the
    Acrobat Reader the full package is not free. I don't think free alternatives
    for turning documents into .pdf format have that feature.

    Acrobat's 'fields' are robust enough for most work - accepting text, dates,
    or numeric information which you have some control over. You can even do
    some Excel-like calculations between them although it is very "expensive". I
    once set up a document that was required to be in .pdf format and used a few
    hundred 'cells' and the file size was so huge I couldn't send it anywhere as
    an email attachment!

    I keep noticing that the Office 2007 package has .pdf support, but to be
    honest, I haven't looked it yet, so don't know what its capabilities or
    limitations are. I suspect that it is probably like the free offerings - you
    can turn things into uneditable .pdf documents for distribution.

    Haplo - you may be thinking of the fields you can place onto a sheet or
    UserForm from the Forms menu bar: View : Toolbars : Forms. But I think once
    you turn it into .pdf those are going to be non-editable.

    If you get desperate for it, and if there aren't too many fields beyond the
    basic name, address, phone number, email address, I'd be willing to assist.
    I have Adobe Acrobat Pro, versions 6 and 7, and if you'd be willing to send
    the Excel file as an email attachment to 2kmaro-at-dslr-dot-net, I'd try to
    help.

    But you should be warned also that there are limitations on doing the edits
    - you pretty much have to print at the time of edit. Mind is fuzzy here - I
    don't use Acrobat that often - but I'm thinking that you can't save the
    document with the changes/entries made. They exist only while the document
    is open. Seems there may be around this, but it doesn't immediately come to
    mind. Well, I know one way, but it requires using the editor to enter your
    information and obviously all of your recipients are not going to just have a
    $200 software package laying around to handle the once-a-year need.

  4. #4
    JLatham
    Guest

    RE: How do I make editable PDF forms using Excel?

    Haplo,
    Having given the bad news about Excel and turning it into editable .pdf form
    a moment ago, let me offer a work-around.

    If you can get a screen shot of your Excel registration form, you can save
    that as a .gif or .jpg and then insert it into a Word document as a picture
    from file. Then format the picture to be Behind Text. Then set up the
    fields on top of the picture in appropriate locations so that it appears to
    the user like a .pdf with editable fields. By the way, this trick works in
    Access reports also.

    There are some good tools for grabbing such screen shots. One free one that
    I've always liked is PrintKey 2000 v5.10 available for download at
    http://www.webtree.ca/newlife/printkey_info.htm that's the last free version
    of that program. Another excellent free one is IrfanView available from
    www.irfanview.com and if you want to get a great one and are willing to pay,
    I recommend SnagIt from www.TechSmith.com

  5. #5
    Haplo
    Guest

    RE: How do I make editable PDF forms using Excel?

    thanks for the help.
    I will try the screenshot workaround as it seems like the closest thing to
    what we want. I'm not sure why we don't have Adobe Pro (we have Adobe
    Standard) because clearly we want the extra functionality. Oh well.

    Thank you very much for the advice!

    Haplo.

  6. #6
    JLatham
    Guest

    RE: How do I make editable PDF forms using Excel?

    How odd, I just mentioned "Pro" because it happens to be the product version
    that I myself own and that we have where I work. I didn't realize that the
    Standard version doesn't have that ability. Just went to the Adobe site and
    did a product feature comparison and lo and behold, you can't do what I was
    thinking of until you get to the Pro version. At least the MSRP upgrade
    price is 'only' $159, and you can probably get it cheaper on line somewhere
    like BuyCheapSoftware.com or AtomicPark.com

    You might look at this page:
    http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_g...t+professional
    and get an idea of available pricing. Some of the vendors listed on that
    page that I know from personal experience to be reputable (not saying any of
    the others aren't, but I haven't bought from all of them) are
    AtomicPark, PageComputer, NewEgg, TechOnWeb, TigerDirect, BuyCheapSoftware,
    and the national names, of course. The best price there is from
    RoyalDiscount.com at $140, and I would expect them to be reputable since they
    are a "featured merchant" at Pricegrabber. But you could double-check them
    at ResellerRatings.com to see about quality of service overall.