How can I get auto sum of column when new figures are added

  1. #1
    Dave
    Guest

    How can I get auto sum of column when new figures are added

    I have put in formula to total a column of figures, it has empty cells for
    new items to be entered as they occur. It used to total in new items
    automatically, now it will not total in new items. It is a Monthly
    spreadsheet. I used" create a copy "to make blank copies to use for following
    months. I made changes to existing sheets as I needed to by using CTRL key
    and clicked on each future month. this may be why it will not total as new
    figures are added.

  2. #2
    Forum Expert
    London, England
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2019
    Posts
    7,062
    Depends how you set it up.

    If you have the totals on row 1, ie =SUM(A2:A100) and when adding a row put the cursor on row 2 and select Insert a row the formula will change automatically to allow for the new line.

    You could equally have the totals on say row 101 but theyll keep moving down the spreadsheet as you add a row then you gotta navigate down to the totals.

    Or store the totals on a different spreadsheet
    Regards
    Special-K

    Ensure you describe your problem clearly, I have little time available to solve these problems and do not appreciate numerous changes to them.

  3. #3
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: How can I get auto sum of column when new figures are added

    Dave

    Is calculation on Automatic under Tools>Options>Calculation?

    OR are the new values entered being treated as text values?

    Format all as General then in an adjacent column enter =ISNUMBER(cellref)

    If real numbers, TRUE will be returned.

    If not numbers, copy a blank cell and select the numbers and Paste
    Special>Add>OK>Esc

    Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP