compute interest at 1.05% compounded daily on $77,000 for 5 years

  1. #1
    larionova
    Guest

    compute interest at 1.05% compounded daily on $77,000 for 5 years

    i have invested $77,000 at an interest rate of 1.05% compounded daily. i want
    to create a formula showing the yield at the end of 5 years (by day).

  2. #2
    John
    Guest

    Re: compute interest at 1.05% compounded daily on $77,000 for 5 years

    larionova wrote:

    > i have invested $77,000 at an interest rate of 1.05% compounded daily. i want
    > to create a formula showing the yield at the end of 5 years (by day).

    Do you mean you want to show every day's value for 1825 days? Or do you
    want something that will show the value for any given day? Or do you
    just want the value at the end of 5 years?

    There is a simple formula that will give the value at any particular
    time of compounded interest.

    FV = P(1 + r)n

    Future Value = principal times interest rate raised to the power of the
    duration.

    Your interest rate would be .05/365 + 1

    So your formula is 77000*(1.000136986)n
    the n is the number of days and is an exponent.

    to find your balance at, say, day 123 just plug 123 into n.

    John

  3. #3
    larionova
    Guest

    Re: compute interest at 1.05% compounded daily on $77,000 for 5 ye

    Thank you John. I input the formula in cell A1, and all I got for an answer
    is the formula. Please, what am I edoing wrong?

  4. #4
    Forum Contributor
    make sure the cell that you've put the formula in is formatted as general
    then recalculate your cell (press f2 to edit, then press enter)

  5. #5
    John
    Guest

    Re: compute interest at 1.05% compounded daily on $77,000 for 5 ye

    What formula did you put in the cell?

    Try this.

    In a2 put =power(1.000136986,a1)*77000

    Put the mumber of days in a1 and the principal will appear in a2... did
    for me anyway.

    John