export from Access to Excel has created problems with

  1. #1
    Siuan
    Guest

    export from Access to Excel has created problems with

    I am a new user with vision impairment, so it is extremely likely that I
    missed the help that has already been offered. For that I apologize and thank
    you for your input.

    I was working on a database in Access, but was having a problem because of
    my vision. It was suggested that I would have better luck working in Excel
    and since I have worked with it before I decided to try.

    I exported my worksheet to Excel but when I openned it in Excel I
    immediately noticed something was very different. It is as though every cell
    has been "formatted as a mini document, complete ith "wrap around". While I
    can see the usefulness of this, and wouldn't mind being able to figure out
    how to do that, this is not the place where I want such formating to be.

    Also, with in the worksheet, over half of the sheet contains extra spaces
    where none are called for. Example:
    | 123 | 456 | 789 |
    | 123 | 456 | 789 |
    | | | |
    | 123 | 456 | 789 |
    I have checked the entire visable record and there is no visable reason for
    this extra space. It would be understandable if there were wrap-around text
    in some of the cells of the record but in over half of them there are not.
    For some reason, about a quarter of the enteries seem unaffected by this.

    If someone can tell me where I made my mistake and help me get this back
    working the way a new worksheet would work and look I would be very thankful.

    Thanks again for your attention.

    --
    Siuan

  2. #2
    JLatham
    Guest

    RE: export from Access to Excel has created problems with

    There is more than one thing that may have caused the text to wrap within the
    Excel cells. Let's try one fix at a time.

    Select all of the cells on the Excel sheet. The easiest way to do that is
    to click on the empty/blank square just above the #1 row label and to the
    left of the column A label.

    Go to the Excel Menu bar and choose
    Edit
    ....then choose
    Clear
    ....then choose
    Formats

    this will clear ALL formatting on all cells. That may cause you to have to
    reformat some columns that contain dates, percentages or currency values.
    There is a way to just clear Text Wrapping, but this method makes sure that
    all formatting is removed and may help more than just undoing Text Wrap. But
    I'll give instructions for just clearing Text Wrap in a minute.

    Now see how your Excel sheet looks. If this fixed the problem, then you may
    have to change the width of some cells to see all of the text in them on
    screen.

    I have not talked about the cells that seem to have been empty, because this
    may have caused hidden text in them to show up.

    How to clear JUST the Text Wrap format.
    Start like we did before, by selecting all cells with data in them.

    From the Menu Toolbar, choose
    Format
    ....then choose
    Cells
    ....then choose the [Alignment] tab and clear the box next to the [Wrap Text]
    label. Click the [OK] button to close the window. This would clear just the
    text wrap format and leave dates, currency, percentages and other special
    formatting unchanged.

    Let us know if this helped fix the problem at all, or if you still seem to
    have either wrapped text or empty cells. You might also look and see if
    there any little white or black rectangles/squares in the middle of any of
    the text that still does not look correct.

  3. #3
    Siuan
    Guest

    RE: export from Access to Excel has created problems with

    Thank you VERY much. That was exactly what I needed and I have copied your
    instructions to my own personal help tricks for future reference. Again,
    thankyou.
    --
    Siuan

  4. #4
    JLatham
    Guest

    RE: export from Access to Excel has created problems with

    You're very welcome. Glad to have been able to assist you.