Pull 1st 4 letters from another cell

  1. #1
    Linda RQ
    Guest

    Pull 1st 4 letters from another cell

    Hi Guys,

    I have cells with a person's name in it. Is there a function or formula to
    enter in the cell next to that one that will only show the first 4 letters
    from the original cell.

    Cell A1 is Amanda

    Cell A2 would be aman

    Thanks,
    Linda

  2. #2
    Roger Govier
    Guest

    Re: Pull 1st 4 letters from another cell

    Hi Linda

    in cell A2
    =LEFT(A1,4)

    --
    Regards

    Roger Govier

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Alan
    Guest

    Re: Pull 1st 4 letters from another cell

    With 'Amanda' in A1, this formula will rturn 'Aman' in any cell you choose
    to enter it,
    =LEFT(A1,4)
    Regards,
    Alan.

  4. #4
    Linda RQ
    Guest

    Re: Pull 1st 4 letters from another cell

    Thanks, Roger and Govier. I was just about to post that I found it. I
    couldn't leave work until I did this so I was just looking around and found
    that you can click on each function and you get a little explaination of
    what it does. Is there a list of functions and what they do all on a page?
    Clicking on each one did take a bit if time and there are a lot of functions
    in there <g>

    Linda