Sorting numbers as Text

  1. #1
    David M.
    Guest

    Sorting numbers as Text

    I frequently work with a lists of text data, some of which consists of digits
    or digits + alpha characters. These are always formatted as tect fields.
    When I sort them i get a dialog box asking if I would rather sort digits as
    numbers or as text. Sorting as text provides the result I need, so I always
    select that and it works fine
    My question is, how can I skip having to answer this question over and over
    and over? Is there a configuration option thats says 'leave me alone - I know
    what I am doing' ?

    Thanks for any help.

  2. #2
    Sheila D
    Guest

    RE: Sorting numbers as Text

    I've never seen the message you refer to - what version of Excel is this?
    Sheila

  3. #3
    SteveW
    Guest

    Re: Sorting numbers as Text

    Not just me then

    Steve

    On Tue, 25 Jul 2006 16:00:02 +0100, Sheila D =

    =

    >> always
    >> select that and it works fine
    >> My question is, how can I skip having to answer this question over an=

    d =

    >> over
    >> and over? Is there a configuration option thats says 'leave me alone =

    - =

  4. #4
    gls858
    Guest

    Re: Sorting numbers as Text

    Sheila D wrote:
    > I've never seen the message you refer to - what version of Excel is this?
    > Sheila
    >
    > "David M." wrote:
    >
    >> I frequently work with a lists of text data, some of which consists of digits
    >> or digits + alpha characters. These are always formatted as tect fields.
    >> When I sort them i get a dialog box asking if I would rather sort digits as
    >> numbers or as text. Sorting as text provides the result I need, so I always
    >> select that and it works fine
    >> My question is, how can I skip having to answer this question over and over
    >> and over? Is there a configuration option thats says 'leave me alone - I know
    >> what I am doing' ?
    >>
    >> Thanks for any help.

    Excel 2003 does this. I run into this when I have product numbers that have
    a leading zero. To keep the leading zero the cells must be formatted as
    text and the prompt comes up whenever you try to sort the column.

    gls858

  5. #5
    Sheila D
    Guest

    Re: Sorting numbers as Text

    I'm using 2003 and I can't get this message even with leading 0's as you
    describe - not aware of any options I've changed either.............

  6. #6

    Re: Sorting numbers as Text

    Not via the user interface.

    But you could record a macro that sorts the data the way you want. And never be
    bother again....

  7. #7
    gls858
    Guest

    Re: Sorting numbers as Text

    Sheila D wrote:
    > I'm using 2003 and I can't get this message even with leading 0's as you
    > describe - not aware of any options I've changed either.............
    >
    > "gls858" wrote:
    >
    >> Sheila D wrote:
    >>> I've never seen the message you refer to - what version of Excel is this?
    >>> Sheila

    >> Excel 2003 does this. I run into this when I have product numbers that have
    >> a leading zero. To keep the leading zero the cells must be formatted as
    >> text and the prompt comes up whenever you try to sort the column.
    >>
    >> gls858

    Here's what I did. I formated cells in the column as text. Entered several
    numbers then selected the column went to Data > Sort and a window pops up
    that says:
    The following sort key may not sort as expected because it contains some
    numbers formatted as text. What would you like to do?

    Sort anything that looks like number as a number
    Sort number and numbers stored as text separately

    Happens every time for me.

    gls858