Decimal point

  1. #1
    David
    Guest

    Decimal point

    I have a cell that reads 21.59 [for example] but when I click on it, the
    data entry field on the tool bar extends that number to 6 decimal places.
    How do I get Excel to read the number only as 21.59? Assuming that the two
    decimal place version is display only.

    I ask this because this data is going to populate a SQL database over which
    I have no control and I don't want my price data displaying on my website to
    6 decimal places!

    Thanks
    David

  2. #2
    SteveW
    Guest

    Re: Decimal point

    You'll have to correct the data

    or use a helper column

    a2 =3D 21.591234
    b2 =3D round(a2,2)

    Then use B2 for the database.
    If you can work on a copy of the data, you can copy/paste_by_value the =

    helper column over the original data. Then delete teh helper column.
    But work on a copy if you need the original more significant data.

    Steve

    =

  3. #3
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: Decimal point

    David

    Set to 2 decimal places display as you have done.

    Then go to Tools>Options>Calculation and Checkmark "Precision as displayed"

    This is a Workbook setting so will be applied to all sheets in the book.

    Note: this will permanently change the value to 21.59

    Might be best to do this on a copy of the workbook just for exporting purposes.

    Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

  4. #4
    SteveW
    Guest

    Re: Decimal point

    Neat, always looking for options like that - must have mssed it.

    Steve

    On Wed, 26 Jul 2006 16:51:53 +0100, Gord Dibben <gorddibbATshawDOTca> =