Question about a formula (Excel XP)

  1. #1
    Mike Webb
    Guest

    Question about a formula (Excel XP)

    I'm "dissecting" a budget to better understand and (hopefully) put it to use
    for our oreganization. I ran across this formula is a cell:
    =IF($B$13-'Cash Budget'!C37<0,0,(($B$13-'Cash Budget'!C37+'Cash
    Budget'!C38)*'Unrestricted Revenue'!$B$9/12))

    I understand the order that Excel will do the various mathematical
    operations, but am confused about this part: "..<0,0, ..." Specifically
    the second 0(zero) inside the commas. What does it mean?

    --
    Mike Webb
    Platte River Whooping Crane Maintenance Trust, Inc.

  2. #2
    kassie
    Guest

    RE: Question about a formula (Excel XP)

    Hi Mike

    This one says in plain English: If B13 minus C37 (in Cash Budget) is less
    than 0, THEN (the 1st comma means THEN) show a 0, ELSE ( the 2nd comma means
    ELSE) first subtract C37 in Cash Budget from B13 and add C38 in Cash budget
    before multiplying by B9 in Unrestricted Revenue and deviding by 12

  3. #3
    Westie

    Mike Webb wrote:
    > I'm "dissecting" a budget to better understand and (hopefully) put it to use
    > for our oreganization. I ran across this formula is a cell:
    > =IF($B$13-'Cash Budget'!C37<0,0,(($B$13-'Cash Budget'!C37+'Cash
    > Budget'!C38)*'Unrestricted Revenue'!$B$9/12))
    >
    > I understand the order that Excel will do the various mathematical
    > operations, but am confused about this part: "..<0,0, ..." Specifically
    > the second 0(zero) inside the commas. What does it mean?

    =IF($B$13-'Cash Budget'!C37<0,0,(($B$13-'Cash Budget'!C37+'Cash
    > Budget'!C38)*'Unrestricted Revenue'!$B$9/12))

    It translates roughly like this (take note of where the commas are in
    the following sentence, they relate to where the commas are in your formula:

    IF you subtract the value in cell C37 on the sheet 'Cash Budget' from
    the value in cell B13 on this sheet and the result is less than zero,
    then insert a zero in this cell, otherwise do a calculation using the
    values from C37 on the 'Cash Budget' sheet and from B9 on the
    'Unrestricted Revenue' sheet.

    The IF statement takes the form
    IF(logical_test,value_if_true,value_if_false).

    Pretty simple really.
    The logical test is just a value or a formula or something that will
    return a value or result that can be described as being True or False.
    The value_if_true is what you get if the test is TRUE - in your case its
    the ,0, That is, put a zero in this cell if the test is TRUE.
    The Value_if_false is what Excel does if the test is FALSE. In your
    case it performs a calculation and puts the result of that calculation
    in the cell.
    --
    Westie

  4. #4