Conditional Formula to indicate Formula in cell

  1. #1
    SteveW
    Guest

    Conditional Formula to indicate Formula in cell

    I've got a formula in a column, but in certain circumstances I may =

    overwrite this formula with a number (too rare a special case to bother =
    =

    covering)

    What I'd like though is to use Conditional Formatting to alter cell to =

    Bold or something to show that this is *a manual override*

    Can't see how you can check for formula present ?

    Any ideas ?

    -- =

    Steve (3)

  2. #2
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Conditional Formula to indicate Formula in cell

    You need a UDF and use that

    Function IsFormula(rng As Range)
    IsFormula = rng.HasFormula
    End Function

    and use that in the CF.

    Bob Phillips

    --
    Steve (3)

  3. #3
    Ron Coderre
    Guest

    RE: Conditional Formula to indicate Formula in cell

    My preference would be to have an Override Cell next to the formula cell.
    Dependent formulas would use the formula if the Override Cell is blank.

    But...regarding what you asked for, try this:

    From the Excel main menu:
    Names in Workbook: IsFormula
    Refers to: =GET.CELL(48,INDIRECT("RC",FALSE))

    Note: Get.Cell is from the old Excel macro function language. The 48
    argument makes it return TRUE for formulas (otherwise: FALSE)

    Caution: I seem to recall GET.CELL might cause an issue in XL97 or XL2000 (I
    can't remember). So, save first, before you try this technique.

    Next...
    Select the cell that will either contain a formula or a constant.
    <format><conditional formatting>
    Formula Is: =(IsFormula=FALSE)
    then...Click the [formatting] button and adjust the format and you're done

    If the cell contains a constant....the conditional format will display.
    Otherwise, the default format will be used.

    Is that something you can work with?
    ***********
    Regards,
    Ron

    XL2002, WinXP

  5. #5
    Ron Coderre
    Guest

    RE: Conditional Formula to indicate Formula in cell

    My preference would be to have an Override Cell next to the formula cell.
    Dependent formulas would use the formula if the Override Cell is blank.

    But...regarding what you asked for, try this:

    From the Excel main menu:

  6. #6
    CLR
    Guest

    RE: Conditional Formula to indicate Formula in cell

    That's cool Ron..........most cool. It works fine in XL97 SR2.

    Vaya con Dios,
    Chuck, CABGx3

  7. #7
    Ron Coderre
    Guest

    RE: Conditional Formula to indicate Formula in cell

    Thanks, Chuck....
    I saw that technique a some time ago. I want to say it's from David
    McRitchie..(but, I'm not sure).

    ***********
    Best Regards,
    Ron

    XL2002, WinXP

  8. #8
    SteveW
    Guest

    Re: Conditional Formula to indicate Formula in cell

    I must have asked before - memory's gone
    But I remember something like that

    Cheers

    On Tue, 01 Aug 2006 17:30:08 +0100, Bob Phillips <[email protected]> wrote=
    :

    > You need a UDF and use that
    >
    > Function IsFormula(rng As Range)
    > IsFormula =3D rng.HasFormula
    > End Function
    >
    > and use that in the CF.
    >
    > --
    >
    > HTH
    >
    > Bob Phillips
    >
    > (replace xxxx in the email address with gmail if mailing direct)
    >
    > "SteveW" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >
    > I've got a formula in a column, but in certain circumstances I may
    > overwrite this formula with a number (too rare a special case to bothe=

    > covering)
    >
    > What I'd like though is to use Conditional Formatting to alter cell to=

    > Bold or something to show that this is *a manual override*
    >
    > Can't see how you can check for formula present ?
    >
    > Any ideas ?
    >
    > --
    > Steve (3)

    -- =

    Steve (3)

  9. #9
    SteveW
    Guest

    Re: Conditional Formula to indicate Formula in cell

    That works as well, but you do have to put it into every workbook

    Steve

    On Tue, 01 Aug 2006 17:32:02 +0100, Ron Coderre =

    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > My preference would be to have an Override Cell next to the formula ce=

    ll.
    > Dependent formulas would use the formula if the Override Cell is blank=

    ..

    > But...regarding what you asked for, try this:
    >
    > From the Excel main menu:
    > Names in Workbook: IsFormula
    > Refers to: =3DGET.CELL(48,INDIRECT("RC",FALSE))
    >
    > Note: Get.Cell is from the old Excel macro function language. The 48
    > argument makes it return TRUE for formulas (otherwise: FALSE)
    >
    > Caution: I seem to recall GET.CELL might cause an issue in XL97 or =

    > XL2000 (I
    > can't remember). So, save first, before you try this technique.
    >
    > Next...
    > Select the cell that will either contain a formula or a constant.
    > <format><conditional formatting>
    > Formula Is: =3D(IsFormula=3DFALSE)
    > then...Click the [formatting] button and adjust the format and you're =

    =

    > done
    >
    > If the cell contains a constant....the conditional format will display=

    ..
    > Otherwise, the default format will be used.
    >
    > Is that something you can work with?
    > ***********
    > Regards,
    > Ron
    >
    > XL2002, WinXP
    >

    > "SteveW" wrote:
    >

    >> I've got a formula in a column, but in certain circumstances I may
    >> overwrite this formula with a number (too rare a special case to both=

    er
    >> covering)
    >>
    >> What I'd like though is to use Conditional Formatting to alter cell t=

    >> Bold or something to show that this is *a manual override*
    >>
    >> Can't see how you can check for formula present ?
    >>
    >> Any ideas ?
    >>
    >> --
    >> Steve (3)

    -- =

    Steve (3)

  10. #10
    Ron Coderre
    Guest

    Re: Conditional Formula to indicate Formula in cell

    Yes...you'd need to create it in each workbook that will use it.

    ***********
    Regards,
    Ron

    XL2002, WinXP

  11. #11
    Ragdyer
    Guest

    Re: Conditional Formula to indicate Formula in cell

    Hey Guys,
    FWIW

    Just went through this a few days ago with a couple of OPs where I suggested
    another type of "Get.Cell" formula.

    CAVEAT:
    IN *PRE* XL02 versions ... COPYING this type (GET.CELL) of formula between
    WBs *will* cause XL to CRASH ! ! !

    The bug was fixed in XL02 forward.

    It is OK to *use* in any version.
    Just create a new formula in each new or additional WB, just *don't* copy
    it.

    If you anticipate users attempting to copy on their own, *don't* chance
    using this!

    RD

    news:[email protected]...

  12. #12
    Ron Coderre
    Guest

    Re: Conditional Formula to indicate Formula in cell

    Thanks, RD....I had vague recollections of there being some kind of problem
    with the GET.CELL function. So many changes over the years. (I've been
    working with spreadsheets since VisiCalc.)

    Regards,
    Ron

    XL2002, WinXP