Daily Racing Form: Horse racing

  1. #1

    Daily Racing Form: Horse racing

    10 aug 06 1459 hrs.
    Greetings..
    I am new to site..and to the use of Excel. I have recently started putting information from the "Daily Racing Form" into an Excel spreadsheet. I will use this data to work out simple and later complex formulas for extracting desired data.
    I have made cells long enough to hold each field, and there will be a weekly entry. What I don't understand is how I will search each date for a particular horse. It seems the formula could get lengthy.
    How would I tell the program to search all the entries to a particular "line"?, or do I just give each entry a "header" name?
    Anyone with some good information and tips for this monumental task, for getting started would be greatly appreciated.
    Rick.

  2. #2
    Max
    Guest

    Re: Daily Racing Form: Horse racing

    Just some thoughts for a galloping start to your venture <g> ..

    If the table is set-up in columns with col headers in row1, then immediately
    you could use Data > Filter > Autofilter to filter the table, for example by
    the particular horse's name. Just select the name from the autofilter
    droplist under the col header: Horses. That will filter out all the lines
    pertaining to that particular horse for your closer inspection

    Try Debra's nice intro to autofilter (and more!) at her:
    http://www.contextures.com/xlautofilter01.html
    --
    Max
    Singapore

  3. #3
    Joe
    Guest

    RE: Daily Racing Form: Horse racing

    I hope you are not planning to place bets on your "results"!