my excel files are being opened in Word and are unreadable Why?

  1. #1
    willy
    Guest

    my excel files are being opened in Word and are unreadable Why?

    Files are being saved in the correct format and can be opened normally from
    the recent files section of the File Menu in excel. The copmputer tried to
    open them in Word from My Computer

  2. #2
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: my excel files are being opened in Word and are unreadable Why?

    Change the file association for the XLS extension.

    Open Win Explorer and browse to an Excel *.xls file.

    Right-click and "Open With".

    Select Excel and "Always use this etc."

    Alternative......................

    Close Excel first and On the Windows Taskbar

    1) Start>Run "excel.exe /unregserver"(no quotes)>OK.
    2) Start>Run "excel.exe /regserver"(no quotes)>OK.
    See the space between exe and /regserver

    You might have to designate a full path to excel.exe.
    In that case Start>Run "C:\yourpath\excel.exe /regserver"(no quotes)>OK.

    Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

  3. #3
    Otto Moehrbach
    Guest

    Re: my excel files are being opened in Word and are unreadable Why?

    Unless there has been some changes in this area in recent versions, any
    Excel file that is opened in Word and SAVED in Word (not Save As) is lost as
    an Excel file. HTH Otto
    news:[email protected]...