can i setup if, then statements to change the color of a row

  1. #1
    Ed
    Guest

    can i setup if, then statements to change the color of a row

    I would like to use if and then statements to recognize P, O, or C
    if the cell has P, O, or C I want the row to change colors Blue, Green, Red
    Is this possible

  2. #2
    Trevor Shuttleworth
    Guest

    Re: can i setup if, then statements to change the color of a row

    Use Conditional Formatting with the three conditions.

    Regards

    Trevor

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: can i setup if, then statements to change the color of a row

    Select a row or range in a row.

    Then assuming A1 is the cell with P, O or C

    Format>Conditional Formatting>Condtion 1>Formula is

    =$A$1="P"

    Format as Blue

    Add

    Condition 2.......=$A$1="O"

    etc. for condition 3

    Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

  4. #4
    Ed
    Guest

    Re: can i setup if, then statements to change the color of a row

    The CF works in the cell how do I get to work for the entire? So if I input
    "p" the entire row of 10 turns blue?

  5. #5
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: can i setup if, then statements to change the color of a row

    Ed

    Have a look at my post also.

    Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

  6. #6
    Ed
    Guest

    Re: can i setup if, then statements to change the color of a row

    Hey, almost there.

    So specifically every cell in column a will change to P, O, or C
    How do I format the entire worksheet to do this?
    Or how do I copy this format.

  7. #7
    SteveW
    Guest

    Re: can i setup if, then statements to change the color of a row

    Every cell in Row 1 not Column A, will change if A1 is P,O or C
    You have to have lock on to $A$1 in the Conditional Format Formula to ge=
    t =

    row to change on A1 contents

    You'll have to change this to $A1, then copy the format from Row 1 to =

    any/all rows that you want the same formatting

    Steve

    On Tue, 08 Aug 2006 23:19:03 +0100, Ed <[email protected]> =

    =

    >> wrote:
    >>
    >> >I would like to use if and then statements to recognize P, O, or C
    >> >if the cell has P, O, or C I want the row to change colors Blue, =

    >> Green, Red
    >> >Is this possible

    -- =

    Steve (3)

  8. #8
    SteveW

    wrote:

    > Hey, almost there.
    >
    > So specifically every cell in column a will change to P, O, or C
    > How do I format the entire worksheet to do this?
    > Or how do I copy this format.
    >
    > "Gord Dibben" wrote:
    >
    >> Select a row or range in a row.
    >>
    >> Then assuming A1 is the cell with P, O or C
    >>
    >> Format>Conditional Formatting>Condtion 1>Formula is
    >>
    >> =3D$A$1=3D"P"
    >>
    >> Format as Blue
    >>
    >> Add
    >>
    >> Condition 2.......=3D$A$1=3D"O"
    >>
    >> etc. for condition 3
    >>

    >> Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP
    >>
    >> On Tue, 8 Aug 2006 14:41:02 -0700, Ed <[email protected]> =

    =

    >> wrote:
    >>
    >> >I would like to use if and then statements to recognize P, O, or C
    >> >if the cell has P, O, or C I want the row to change colors Blue, =

    >> Green, Red
    >> >Is this possible

    -- =

    Steve (3)

  9. #9
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: can i setup if, then statements to change the color of a row

    Are you saying that Column A cells will have a P, O or C?

    If so, select a range of rows and CF>Formula is

    =$A1=P...........I misled you in first post by locking just A1

    Note the single $ sign to lock just the Column A but not the row.

    I wouldn't format the whole worksheet this way.

    Just format a couple hundred rows for now and use the Format Painter to copy to
    more rows later.

    Gord