faster way of data entry

  1. #1
    jd
    Guest

    faster way of data entry

    I would like to learn how to enter data on excel faster. I have a large
    datasheet, my samples are in "rows" while the tests are in "columns". The
    samples are arranged in numerical order but when I'm testing them, I group
    them into fixed groups of around 90-100 members. The members of these groups
    are randomly arranged. I get my result one group at a time. And I conduct
    different tests on each fixed group. I just score the test as normal or
    abnormal.
    For example, I'm testing test A on goup 1 which is a fixed group of 90
    members and the result is normal for all, I have to go through my samples
    numbered 001-900's to score each member of group 1 (randomly arranged) as
    normal. I don't want to sort my samples according to the fixed groups because
    I want to preserve the numerical order of the samples as much as possible. Is
    there a way to enter my data faster without rearranging the samples?
    Thanks.

  2. #2
    Ragdyer
    Guest

    Re: faster way of data entry

    Sounds like perhaps a "Named Range" might be what you're looking for.

    See if this old post explains it well enough.

    http://tinyurl.com/39vzv

    --
    HTH,

    RD

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Pete_UK
    Guest

    Re: faster way of data entry

    If you introduce a column called Group, then you can list down this
    column codes such as A, B, C etc to correspond with your groups of
    90-100. Apply autofilter to this column, so that if you are entering
    data for group B, say, then these rows are the only ones you see on
    screen.

    You could enter "N" for normal against the first member of this group
    (with the filter applied), then copy down the visible cells - this will
    only be copied to the cells which are displayed.

    Hope this helps.

    Pete

  4. #4
    jd
    Guest

    Re: faster way of data entry

    Thanks Radgyer and Pete. I tried both "named range" and "auto filter" and I
    think auto filter is best for my data. I can work faster now.

  5. #5
    Pete_UK
    Guest

    Re: faster way of data entry

    Well, it's Friday night here - don't work too hard!!

    Thanks for feeding back.

    Pete